Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 Front Wheel Bearing #s???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 Front Wheel Bearing #s???

Does anyone know the Timken part numbers for the bearings in the front hub and front strut housing? Thanks.

Sam

Old 09-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Not off hand. I know that the ones that are in my scrammy are Timken. I would assume the same for the Sportsman. If you were to take them out and down to your local auto parts store, they should be able to match them up.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

I've taken them out and can only make out the Timken name and not enough of the number. I haven't had a lot of luck getting the parts places to match up bearings or other things without a part number or application. You know, "What's it off of? I reply, "A 4-wheeler." They reply, "We don't carry 4-wheeler parts. Maybe if you had a part number, then we could help you. Sorry. Next in line, please."
Anyways, there's a bearings supplier (Motion Industries) that's pretty good. If I knew the part number, I could call them before I make the 60 mile trip to their business to confirm availability. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, Partsland has Polaris's part #. I dont know whether or not it is the same as the Timken #. You could call that bearing place and see if they match

Old 09-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for trying to help BigBadScrambler. I broke down and paid the Polaris dealer for a set of the bearings. I now know the Timken numbers and have them filed away in the useful information folder for my sp'500. You would be amazed to find that they are easily purchased at the odddest of places (not just auto parts stores) for about 1/2 the price. If curiosity gets the best of you, I'll post the part numbers next week when I get back into town.

Okay, I was just kidding!, The strut bearings are Timken L44649 and the bearing races are L44610. The wheel hub bearings are L44643 and the bearing races are L446110.

Oh, by the way, the inner strut seal is made by Chicago Rawhide (CR) and is part number 538118.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry I couldnt have been of more assistence. But I glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for posting those part #s. They will definately come in handy in the future for people. I actually have a strut housing seal leaking and need to get it replaced (I think I will have the dealer do the labor as I am afraid of the close tolerances for the strut housing.) But, if you dont mind me asking, how much did the seal cost? Is that available at the local auto parts store?

Old 09-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't looked for the seals locally. Polaris prices are reasonable. So I purchased them from them. The strut seal is $9.99 plus tax. I found a good supplier online at Gary Surdyke's. (www.surdyke.com). The strut seal is easy to remove and easy to install. You can remove the old seal by prying it out. It's a pretty flimsy seal and comes out easily. Just take care not to mar up the strut body. I installed the new seal by cutting a piece of MDF board into a circle the same diameter as the seal. I placed the MDF circle behind the seal and tapped the seal into place with a hammer. Like I said the seal is not heavily made and does not require the use of a hydraulic press to install. The MDF makes a great little tool to seat the seal.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention one of the best sources for the bearings and bearing races- utility trailer parts houses. It turns out that the bearings and races are commonly used for the axles on utility trailers. Look in the Northern Tools catalog and you can find the bearings for $9.99 a piece.

Hope this helps. Sam

Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks man.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Surfersam, Unfortunately I have never been able to find an oem list for Polaris. You can go on Timken's web site and find numbers for just about any car you can think of. It's all a big sham to get you to by them from the Polaris dealer instead of going to Autozone and getting them for half the price. Catipillar is really bad about that. We make some bearings that have the Cat name and part number on them instead of the Timken name and number.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Wouldn't it be nice if we could start our own list of OEM parts? I have a few more that I could contribute. This forum is one of the first places I go to when I have to repair something on the Sp'500. You get great tips and often the OEM part numbers. Finding that many of the parts are standard off-the-shelf parts is great. That's one of the things I like about having a Sp'500 (with the exception of the rice burner engine).