Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman or rubicon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnum, we were in West Virginia, near a town called Pullman. We had some awesome mud, especially on Sunday. I hit water and mud hard and fast a LOT. So did the Foremans and the Rubicon I was riding with. Me and the auto Suzuki were trailing behind with wet belts. As long as the Polaris stays dry, it's definitely AWESOME, but what does ATV stand for? LOL!!

Old 08-28-2000, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

the Ruby beat your 335 SP?

Old 08-28-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

My late Model 200SP500 has the new transmission snorkel. I rode at WolfPen this week end and hit 1.5' clear water holes at 30mph. Water everywhere and no belt slipping. If any of you guys would like to prove your Rubi supperior on the trails, I will be more than willing to give you the chance. If you would like to do the same in the mud, I laugh at you (HAHAHAHA!!!)

I did spend a little time on a Grizz up there this week end and there is no comparion.

Also, people have questioned the wieght of the SP500. I hit a jump way to hard at the end of trail 3a and soared about 25 feet about 5 feet off the ground and did not even bottom out. I did about crap my pants though. I only had about 30 feet to stop from 35MPH before hitting trees, but thanks to the awesome Polaris brakes, it was not a problem.

I did notice that the Polaris is much lighter in the front. The front end will come up easy. I have a winch new in the box that I am going to mount to help keep the front end down.

Greg

Old 08-28-2000, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi. My husband has a SP500 and I have a Rubicon. We frequently switch machines just to feel the difference. We like them both but for different reasons. They're both great machines.

There is quite a bit of difference between the two. My husband and I both like the independent suspension and feel of the ride of the SP500 for the most part and for really long, rocky rides it definitely wins on the comfort front. But I love the feel of the Rubicon. The downhill is especially great. It keeps me slow and doesn't slide. I watch my husband slide with his SP500 on places where I'm set soundly. My Rubicon is also slightly faster than my husband's. (Makes him crazy). The other great thing about the Rubicon is the center of gravity and the confidence I have going over any terrian. As far as the transmission, I like the choices I have and I like not having to worry about burning up a belt. We were climbing one mountain pass and his SP500 started to smoke. I was still in high gear and had no problem.

As for price, we paid the same price for both - he got the special edition of the SP500. The dealers are commanding a higher price for the Rubicon than the MRP by a couple of hundred dollars.

Overall, I think we both have the right machine for us. He loves the look and feel of the SP500 and I find mine easier to steer and handle. It's really an individual choice and preference. I believe you can't go wrong with either.

We agree that if they combined the independent suspension and cushy seat of the Polaris with the transmission and the center of gravity thing with the Honda, you'd have the perfect machine.

Old 08-28-2000, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have been out riding with several sportsmen 500's, and we are in the water. I have yet to see this reported belt slippage? I am sure it does happen on occasion; but from my view point. very seldom. However, polaris does have an answer to some of the reported problems with polaris atv's.

The polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.
1. Shaft ride system, front and back. Who cares
about water.
2. With the 5-speed, going down a steep hill in 1st. or 2nd. gear, using the engine compression, plus the break system, and if needed a back up break system, makes it scary free. Most of the time, I dont even use breaks. Even if its a steep hill.
3. It has now been reported that the polaris xped.
has the smoothest and easiest 5 speed shifter
on the market. I have read it now, from 4
different atv magazines. rangerchet

Old 08-28-2000, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

The Ruby definitely would out drag, climb anything the 335 would do. Now I don't know about a 500 Sportsman, I've heard the difference between the 335 and 500 is huge. ??? However, I'm not talking about splashing in water and then coming through I'm talking about riding and rompin' in water, 2-3 foot deep. The belt slips believe me.

Old 08-28-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds to me like you have a bad or improperly installed seal on your belt housing. Are you going in water over the belt housing exhaust. If so, you should have the bike in low and keep it reved to keep up the air pressure.

The power difference betwwen the 335 and 500 is huge and when comparig a 335 to the Rubi, I could see how anyone would like the Rubi more.

Greg

Old 08-28-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if the water was deep enough to get over that, but it was splashing all over me and the bike, so I'd say it could have went anywhere. I'll get the chance to see if my seal is improperly installed, I think I'm going to replace the belt because I have smoked it several times already prior to this weekend. I'm thinking maybe that could have contributed to the ease in which it started slipping now, since it was wet and worn. ??

Old 08-28-2000, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have played in 2 -3 foot water on several occasions, over the front rack deep and never have had my belt slip. The only thing that i can think of that would make it slip, it possily a worn belt? something out of whack or not sealed properly. Yeah there is a hhuge difference in the power of the 500 and the 335. Even the owner of the Honda, AC, Kawasaki dealer was telling my that they took the new Ruby and a 1998 SP500 that was just traded, out last weekend and the SP was superior in just about everything. He told me that the winch on the SP came in handy. He said it was closer though than anything that Honda has put out to combat the SP.

Old 08-28-2000, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Has anyone read up on the 500CC 4x4 shootout in the latest Dirt Wheels mag? I was shocked that the new Rubicon lost to the Sportsman 500 as the better overall atv.

Quick Reply: sportsman or rubicon?