Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why do I get bad mileage. Really bad.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I get bad mileage. Really bad.

I can only get like 60 km to a tank. its a 300 polaris express 2wd. Go about 3/4 throttle constant. What could I do to increase the gas mileage? Drive slow, yes, but it sucks, cause that thing is slow as it is. Does my mileage seem low? What is the optimum throttle position for better mileage?

Old 10-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

you could buy an aftermarket gas tank or make your own out of some milk jugs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone else with some actual advice?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

buy a 4 stroke and/or dump alot of weight

Old 10-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

What could I do to get ride of some weight? I only weigh 150 pounds, so I don't hurt the mileage much.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

How big of a tank do you have on this thing? In US gallons please. Is it all stock? Have you done any jetting on it? What does the plug look like? Do a compression on it and post the resultes. Does it run good?

Old 10-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Uh the tank is 3.75 gallons I think. Plug might need to changed. Compression, well I can barely pull start it. And it runs good, but I recently had a problem with it bogging. No idea why, and it solved itself. No jetting done. Its all stock as far as I know.

To give you a example the gas tank has the fillerneck, about 5 inch's in diameter, and about 2 inchs deep. It will use that amount in about 10 seconds of idling.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

To give you a example the gas tank has the fillerneck, about 5 inch's in diameter, and about 2 inchs deep. It will use that amount in about 10 seconds of idling.
Almost a cup of fuel in 10 sec, at idle???There is no way a normal running 300cc engine will use that much fuel in that little time. Even if it was straight alky, it would not use that much. Either 1- you have a fuel leak or 2- the thing is going to run like crap and be flooded with fuel.

I don't know what to tell you unless you do a compression test or look for a fuel leak. The only other thing I can think of is sometimes I have heard of main jets falling off? But you say it runs good?? This one is not adding up??

Old 10-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you sure it is buring that cup of fuel, or is it just going out the overflow? I know that on my scrammy, if I go anything above the bottom of the filler neck then it will go out the overflow in a matter of seconds

Old 10-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

No its not going out a over flow line or anything. I can take the cap off, and I'll watch the fuel steadily go away. I'll get my dad to check the jets tonight, since I have no experience with carbs. I'm wondering if the overflow screw at the bottom of the carb is slightly loose....that would cause the gas to come out a little no?

Quick Reply: Why do I get bad mileage. Really bad.