Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 downsides

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait! Wait!

He is right about the moisture in the speedo thing!

Thank-you

Old 09-01-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

As a follow-up to my last post, I will say that everything I said as minor annoyances have either been improved on the 2001 or can easily be fixed. I would have to say that those minor annoyances don't even come close to ruling it out if you're in the market for one. The advantages and good points far outweigh the bad points.

Old 09-01-2000, 01:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm probably going to get it in a month or two. At least thats where I stand right now. The problem wasn't choosing between a sportsman and something else. It was just trying to justify getting rid of my AC500 (which is awesome) and dropping close to $2000 extra for a new HO. Would it be worth it? No, not really. But... I'm looking at the fun factor. I figure I could keep the Cat running strong a lot longer than I could a Sportsman, but in 6 years I might trade again, so who cares about that. On the fun side, I miss the ability to spin around tightly in 2wd in order to make a shorter U-turn in the middle of a road. I like the speed and acceleration of the Sportsman. The IRS had me hooked the first time I rode it as well. That was 2 years ago when the 335 was new. The dealer had a Grizzly and a 335 parked out front (500 was inside so I didn't mess with it- you can't test power in a parking lot anyway) I rode both the Yamaha and the Polaris. I thought the Griz turned a hair tighter than the 335, but there was this 4" step up onto a concrete slab that sealed the deal between the two (Sportsman in general, not the 335 motor). I rode the Griz at about 5-8 mph and hit this bump and it hopped up with a little bounce. Then I rode the Sportsman over it and it just totally absorbed all of the shock. No contest. I ended up getting the AC in the end (like 4 months later) and I must say that I made the right choice. It is an unbeleivable quad for my type of riding. Now I'm ready to sell it while I can still get a decent price out of it and get something that will be a little more sporty and fun to ride, but at the same time can do anything the AC could performancewise. I have asked a ton of question from backwards EBS characteristics to top speed, and a lot of knitpicky stuff in between. I think it will be worth it to me. I hate to part with my Cat, but I may sell it to my sisters boyfriend. They will most likely be married in a year or so and it will stay in the family. Also, this guy takes immaculate care of his stuff, so I wouldn't have to see it get torn up.

If I sell it to him, I'll take $4500 for it and take off the Claws and keep them. They will be awesome on a sportsman. That will leave me about $2000 short of a new HO, and if I get antsy, I can just finance that for a bit and later pay it off in full like I did today on my AC. I think $4500 is a good price that doesn't hurt me, and still gives him a good price. The quad has 2 kimpex bumpers($70 apiece), 1 rack extension($70), Oxlites ($45), a backup light, and a winch($100 in the promo in 98). 1400 miles and absolutely very few even minor scratches to the plastic and racks. Its a thing of beauty to be 2 years old. You'd think I never took it anywhere.

If and when I do get the sportsman, I need to get it during a winch promo. That is a must after having one. Then I will have to add front and rear tube bumpers and rack extensions. Later on some wheels for the Claws, and I think I will be set up once again. You can tell that this is about all that is on my mind right now, because this post is long and absolutely worthless for any information.

Old 09-01-2000, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Then it will come down to what color? Green or Red? not yellow for sure. That looks horrible after time and weathering take effect. I had a yellow 86 yamaha 225 that looked like garbage after a couple years. Never again.

Another question. I have seen older used polaris quads in red that looked all faded and crappy. Is this common to the red finish, or were these things left out in the sun and elements too much? How well does the green hold up? The AC green scratches very easy, but cleans up well and mine still looks new. Do polaris's fade out very easy? I know the black plastic gets sun bleached pretty easily if you leave it out all the time. Mine will be garage kept.

Old 09-01-2000, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

2500 miles. third set of brakes. Blown engine seal. Burnt stator. Two rear axle boots.

My little brother has a honda 300. Never breaks, but him and his kids are always riding mine.

Gotta pay to play!

Old 09-01-2000, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

The weight I don't even notice. When you ride it it doesn't feel heavy. The overide for reverse doesn't need to be pushed in i believe until 7 mph or if you want 4x4 in reverse. and that is really no big deal totally becomes second nature in no time. Belt slip none, people rarely have this happen, if it was going to happen wouldn't you think it might in a down pour swollen river up over the front rack , with myself and my girlfriend on it?, never had any slippage at all, never have. That is a WAY overblown issue. Only time I ever saw a belt slip was when a 1996 Xpress was totally submerged with only 2 inches of the back rack sticking out of the water. and in 45 minutes of draining out all the water , we took off good as new.But the lighting system is very effective yeah it might be nice to have all 3 on unless you have something on the front rack and your high beam is reflecting off of it, then you will be glad you can swich it off. Though a 3 way switch might be nice so you can switch between the 3 settings.
The weight of it works in its favor when riding double, and snow plowing and also when winching people out.
The EBS works awesome. The difference between an atv with it and without it is huge. Actually it seems to work the best for me anyways when going slow down steep hills it really keeps the speed way down.
The 4x4 system is bulletproof I have never known anyone to have any problems with it. no matter what age of the Polaris the 4x4 is always there ready to go.

Old 09-02-2000, 02:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know about these newer ones, but on the 99's (and the 400 sportsman), you could put the Hi/lo beam selector in between settings and get all three lights to come on at once. My cousin said his uncle's 97 Sp400 would do this so I tried it at a dealer with a 99 Sportsman. It worked. All three on at once. I don't know if the newer ones will do it or not. I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

I saw a '99 SP500 for sale, the price was$4200 obo. I want my dad to get it but he probably wont. I hear they are bulletproof, and awsome in mud...wich I need.(too many times getting stuck with the 4X2 200SX.)

Old 09-02-2000, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can indeed put the light hi/low beam in between settings and get all three on at once. I did it on the 2001 HO today at the dealer. Unless the switch gets loose over time or something, I wouldn't bother wiring it up differently.