Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trouble with polaris magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004 | 11:03 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default trouble with polaris magnum

Yesterday with deer scouting with two other people. They were riding a honda 300 and 450 foreman. I have a 2004 polaris magnum 330 4x4. It was doing pretty good at first and then it got to where it didnt want to run good. It didnt hardly want to start and when it did it would hesitate 2 to 3 times before smoothing out. Had to stop alot and check out trails. So I got to where i hated to turn it off. Those guys were ragging my polaris pretty hard. I just had to take it. We went through alot of water but none much above the footrest. Theres never had a problem. Any suggestions here. Would like to be proud of my polaris but how can I.

Old 10-21-2004 | 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Ok Superstar, I'm thinking it's something simple. Check the small tygon (plastic) vent hose from your carb (through skid plate). Make sure it's not clogged.
I would check the throttle cable too. If you have play in the throttle cable, it might cause it to shut down. You'll see a black rubber boot on the cable maybe 6"s below the thumb throttle. Slide the rubber boot apart in half and make the adjustment - that is if you have play. How does your air filter look?

I'm not a mech., but I would check these things out if it were mine.

Old 10-21-2004 | 02:49 AM
|
Trailblazer

thanks, i will check these things tomorrow. checked the air filter and spark plug already and they were fine. where is the drain plug at on the pvt. just curious. i checked the idle and it was close to where the service people said it should be. i dont understand much about being too lean or not enough on the fuel mixture. if that hose is plugged do you take it off and unplug it? Would that cause the problems i was talking about.

Old 10-21-2004 | 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

I would bet money you have water in the fuel. The water will never mix with gas. What you need to do is to add some HEET (alcohol) to the fuel. The Heet mixes with the water then this mixture can be burned. Once water enters your tank it settles at the lowest point as it is heavier than gas. Once it enters your carb it will set in the bowl causing sputtering till you can't run it anymore. Try adding some HEET and let me know what happens.

Old 10-21-2004 | 08:27 AM
|
Trailblazer

Just was wondering if i got water in the fuel how was this possible. what are some of the ways water gets in the tank. the water we went through was about at the footrest or lower. hit the water holes slow. only had splashing of mud on my shoes. can this possibly be prevented in the future. im on the same tankful right now, its about empty and running good. also when i had the problem the other day it didnt want to start. then after starting it would hesitate and sputter about twice. then after that it would run smooth for miles even at full throttle and then when we would stop if i turned it off it would start acting up again. i got where i didnt want to turn it off. thanks

Old 10-21-2004 | 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

It is good preventive medicine to use some HEET a few times a year. Our group has learned to carry a few bottles in our gear boxes and it has saved the day more than once. Water can enter many ways with perhaps condesation being the more common. Wate is fuel is just as common in warm climates as it is cold. Try some.

Old 10-21-2004 | 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Snowwolfe, You could be on to something here. He should try the heat in the right amount.

Old 10-22-2004 | 01:28 AM
|
Trailblazer

i called the dealership today and suggested putting heet in it when having this problem. they said not to but didnt give a reason. they said to drain the gas out. but when you are out on the trail that would be difficult. what do you all think. why did he tell me not to. rode it today same gas in it no problem at all. didnt ride it for the same length of time and through any mud holes. thanks for the input.

Old 10-22-2004 | 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

heet works great just use small quanties or it can be hard on your carb... water can get into your fuel by condensation just like a glass. when it gets cold out and its warm in your tank water will condence on the side of your tank and then into your fuel.

Old 10-22-2004 | 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

If you use HEET, don't use too much. Too strong of concentration will cause more problems than it will solve.
To drain off the water, put the fuel valve in reserve, and loosen the drain screw at the bottom of the carb, and drain off about a cup or so.

The vent hose really should be checked. They are small diameter, and easily get plugged up with dust from the trail, spiderwebs, etc.

Quick Reply: trouble with polaris magnum