Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tired of seeing Polaris get a raw deal in the mags

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of seeing Polaris get a raw deal in the mags

There are things in the article that just don't make sense and are contradictory.

Also, the Sportsman constantly gets negative marks for things that Polaris has done by design.
For example:

1. Heavy weight = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way for a reason.

2. Smooth acceleration rather than a hard hit off the line = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design. Polaris could make all the models flip you if they wanted to.

3. Front and rear brakes in one lever = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design.

4. On demand 4x4 = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design.
I get tired of stopping to shift in and out of 4x4 with my quads. This is a good thing.

5. High Handlebars = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design. They could lower them. I think the higher handle bars makes it less sporty , but easier to ride overall (just opinion).

The magazines acknowledge:
1. The ride is superior.
2. The handling is better than expected for a heavy machine.
3. The single brake lever is helpful.
4. The smooth acceleration is a good benefit.
5. The on demand 4x4 is very convenient.

Yet over and over when the "Conclusion" of the shootouts comes, Polaris is marked down for these things. This makes no sense.

The things mentioned above make the sportsman a user friendly and easy to drive quad for most skill levels in most terrain. To me that makes it a superior quad.

Also, Polaris seems to be updating the design and refinement every year. I don't know if other companies do this as much.

I can't comment on reliability because although I've driven many Polaris quads, I've never owned one. My opinion is that they don't seem to have any more issues than the other companies. So, reliablity, in my opinion, is not a big issue during the last few years for Polaris.

(edit) The other thing is that these quads are very rarely tested on issues of work or utility. They constantly rate them based on issues of sportiness. This makes no sense for the class of quad that the sportsman is in. One of the mags did a sled test a few years ago. The sportsman won.

Old 11-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

You just have to remember that most mags look more to the sporty side then what the quad was made for. They all have the ideal of what a utility quad should have and when the quad doesn't have it, it is a mark against it.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
There are things in the article that just don't make sense and are contradictory.

Also, the Sportsman constantly gets negative marks for things that Polaris has done by design.
For example:

1. Heavy weight = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way for a reason.

2. Smooth acceleration rather than a hard hit off the line = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design. Polaris could make all the models flip you if they wanted to.

3. Front and rear brakes in one lever = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design.

4. On demand 4x4 = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design.
I get tired of stopping to shift in and out of 4x4 with my quads. This is a good thing.

5. High Handlebars = By design and could be changed, but Polaris wants it that way to be rider friendly for the whole family and easier to handle over varied terrain for all skill levels. Again, this is by design. They could lower them. I think the higher handle bars makes it less sporty , but easier to ride overall (just opinion).

The magazines acknowledge:
1. The ride is superior.
2. The handling is better than expected for a heavy machine.
3. The single brake lever is helpful.
4. The smooth acceleration is a good benefit.
5. The on demand 4x4 is very convenient.

Yet over and over when the "Conclusion" of the shootouts comes, Polaris is marked down for these things. This makes no sense.

The things mentioned above make the sportsman a user friendly and easy to drive quad for most skill levels in most terrain. To me that makes it a superior quad.

Also, Polaris seems to be updating the design and refinement every year. I don't know if other companies do this as much.

I can't comment on reliability because although I've driven many Polaris quads, I've never owned one. My opinion is that they don't seem to have any more issues than the other companies. So, reliablity, in my opinion, is not a big issue during the last few years for Polaris.

(edit) The other thing is that these quads are very rarely tested on issues of work or utility. They constantly rate them based on issues of sportiness. This makes no sense for the class of quad that the sportsman is in. One of the mags did a sled test a few years ago. The sportsman won.
Yep thats the way I see it too!

Old 11-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a Polaris for a reason and there is a reason why it is the most sold ATV on the market....because it was designed to last.....

I can't say its the best at anything or everything, but to me it is the best all-around Utility machine on the planet and thats why I own one....

As far as the magazines, who knows why they do what they do....maybe its the amount of advertising and money that goes towards the magazine....which it usually seems like polaris has alot, but who knows.....

the good thing about multiple manufacturers is the competitive marketplace, as long as there are many manufacturers, they will continue to make a better machine....

I can't say I will always ride a polaris, as I have owned Yamaha's, Honda's and Kawasaki's....but right now it is the best machine for my purposes.....and the biggest thing of all....its like driving a cross between a Cadillac, BMW and a Humvee.....

Old 11-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

ELKBOW,
Where are you getting your sales stats from on Polaris being the most sold ATV?

My last stats had Honda ATVs in first place as overall sales leader of ATVs.

Maybe your salesman told you that ?

Old 11-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think he was talking about 4x4 sales, which Polaris is at the top of. It wouldn't suprise me at all if Polaris is the number one selling ATV for 2004 however.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Lon
Trailblazer

Jefffoxsr -

I think you hit on some very good points. Those are the same reaons I bought a Polaris for my 15 year old this year. It's his first quad, and the auto trans, smooth ride and comfortable seat were the things I was looking for. I can't say that I was looking for the single lever brake, because I guess I was somewhat skeptical of it. But now that we both have it, I can say it suits us fine. Reliability has not been an issue yet, but we'll see as time goes on. Ive had a Honda and Kawi's, and the only bike that I can honestly say never gave me a problem was the Lakota. It's still in the family and continues to run great.

I hope the two Polaris quads we have now run the same way.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think the mags are all pretty much paid by the Jap companies to hype their products. All in all, the machines are pretty much the same. 4 wheels, 4x4 in some cases. 4 stroke engines of various sizes. It just comes down to learning each individual machines pesonality. They can all be used by anyone with a little time in the saddle. Again, I think the mags get all kinds of incentive from the Japs to really make those bikes shine.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

dirtwheels is a joke. look at all the advertising yamaha has in their mag, what does that tell you.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

yes jeff i agree with you 100 percent ....i have always bought my atvs for work and hunting and have rarley went over 30mph on them...who cares how fast they go if thats the case you should have bought a scrambler or somthing...good post...

Quick Reply: Tired of seeing Polaris get a raw deal in the mags