Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

I guess you could say I outran my headlights. I hit a 2 1/2 foot deep, 3 foot wide trench at wide open throttle. It was 1 AM and very dark and I had made it up to about 35-40MPH before I hit the trench. I never even let off the gas, hoped I would just fly over it, wrong! It threw me about 20 or 30 feet through the air and it ripped the wheels off the bike, cracked the gear case and basically mangeled the rest. I did this September 5th and I still have a scab on my leg, but that's all I got, one really big scrape. I have no nerve endings and can't feel my shin now, perhaps that's why it isn't healing quick, no circulation.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Traxlox is just hondas fancy name for selectable 2wd/4wd. Its kind of misleading, because most people think it referrs to some kind of traction lock for the front.
As long as the tires are touching the ground...its 4wd. The bit with the 6 mph difference front to back..is the wheels need to be somewhat sycronized, for the slip collar to lock the front stub to the back stub of the driveshaft. If the difference between, the stubs is more than 6mph, it wont engage. So if youre really spinning the rear tires, and you select 4wd, the collar wont move, and wont hook up the front, until the difference between front and back is less than 6mph. No damage will ocour, it just wont slide over and connect them.
I was skeptical of the torque sensing differential at first, but its amazing how well it works. Unless one front tire comes off the ground, then a quick stab on the front brakes, and that gets it going again.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 2005BF750
I used to "bump" my throttle every couple seconds when going down steep hills on my 700 EFI to keep the EBS engaged. it's just a Polaris thing lol.
Hey 2005BF you arent kicking in the EBS as much as you are keeping your secondary clutch backshifting.That 700EFI has a TEAM roller secondary and it backshift instantly.I have one on my Scrambler and it will stop like EBS. I can imagine what it is like with EBS GREAT. As for the Polaris hubs engaging the new ones use a differintal with the Hillard clutch inside it for both axles.I dont care for this setup becuase you cant service them like when in the hubs.As for 4 wheel EBS I see no use for it I have to trouble with any of my Polaris but I have the clutches set up for fast back shifts. And I alays remember that " when in dought GAS it" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster

Im still waiting for polaris to have 4 wheel engine braking, hondas have always been able to do this. They would have to completely change their design to get it though..because the front ring and pinion have a different ratio, than the rear gears have. Honda has the same ratio front and back, which is why it can be left on, even in high traction riding.
Another reason that there isnt 4wheel engine braking, other than the different front and rear wheel speeds, is the spool in the front. It would make it very difficult to steer when going downhill, like driving a Jeep with front and rear lockers. You could still steer, but it would be quite difficult.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

you're right, the other mfgers can do it because they arent true 4wd until you activate a lock mechanism.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, polaris would have to put in a differential and a locker , like bombardier has i think, and that would ruin their "on demand true" allwheel drive.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi guys,

Regarding the quote from the mag

Traxlok® switch kicks the front end in and out with no sound and appears to be smooth in operation. An electromagnetic mechanical clutch unit located on the center of the drive shaft engages 4WD with a two-way roller clutch. Unlike mechanical designs, Traxlok® is supposed to ensure smooth operation by employing a magnetic switching mechanism that engages when front and rear wheel speeds vary by less than 6 mph.

What I got from reading that is that the 4 wheel drive is always on when the switch is on but if you flip the switch when there is more than 6mph between the wheels it won't kick in, i.e. if you are stuck in 2wd and are spinning the wheels hard and flip the switch for the 4wd it won't kick in with the rear wheels spinning like that (to prevent driveline damage in case the fronts are bound) but it will kick in once the difference drops to less than 6mph. Once it kicks in it stays in till the switch is turn off, unlike the Polaris system that engages and disengages automatically when the AWD button is on.

anyway thats my take on it.

Spool

edit: oops I guess hondabuster said pretty much the same thing.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

I'd like to see an Polaris implement an AWD system that gave you an option of Automatic, 4 wheel lock, 4 wheel, and 2 wheel.
[*] The Automatic would work as the True 4 wheel drive works now.[*] The 4 wheel lock would allow you to lock the diff at your own discression.[*] The 4 wheel drive seeting would operate like a typical anti-spin diff works (would give you 4 wheel EBS).[*] 2 wheel is self explanatory.

This system would be great becasue it would give you so many choices over control. I understand the current design won't allow for this, but this is definitely not a unachievable design goal.. ..

ZMan079

Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ZMan079
I'd like to see an Polaris implement an AWD system that gave you an option of Automatic, 4 wheel lock, 4 wheel, and 2 wheel.
[*] The Automatic would work as the True 4 wheel drive works now.[*] The 4 wheel lock would allow you to lock the diff at your own discression.[*] The 4 wheel drive seeting would operate like a typical anti-spin diff works (would give you 4 wheel EBS).[*] 2 wheel is self explanatory.

This system would be great becasue it would give you so many choices over control. I understand the current design won't allow for this, but this is definitely not a unachievable design goal.. ..

ZMan079
Why would you want 4x4 if you dont need it?Polaris 4x4 only kicks in when you need it due to its design.Do a serch on the Hillard clutch and it will anserw most of your questions.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Hello ZMan079. I too am quite amazed at all the different 4wd mechanisms. Although I think that the only reasonable argument against the Polaris system is the front wheel EBS.
The 4 wheel lock would allow you to lock the diff at your own discression
I think one point about a locked differential is that it really needs to come unlocked when the quad turns, otherwise the front tires slide on the turns. This only reduces control in the turns.

Hello hondabuster: A couple of comments to your comments.
They would have to completely change their design to get it though..because the front ring and pinion have a different ratio, than the rear gears have.
Different gear ratios happen quite often in 4WD. Look at Porsche, John deere, Kubota,Cat..... You can get nearly an infinite number of gear ratios just by playing with tire sizes. I think this is not a serious problem if someone was so inclined.
Honda has the same ratio front and back, which is why it can be left on, even in high traction riding.
This is not a good idea when turning on high traction surfaces because three of your tires will be slipping whenever you turn because there is no differential action between the front and back and the front wheels cannot overrun the rear on a turn because of the front pig. Only one of the Polaris rear wheels will slid on a turn because there is no rear differential.
The honda uses a torque sensing differential, like range rovers have. The tire that needs the torque will get it, (until one front gets airborne.)
This is a problem with Hondas torque sensing differential: it transfers ratios of torque. For instance if the torque ratio is 4 to 1, (not sure what Hondas is), then if the slipping wheel is transfering 1 ftlb of torque, the non-slipping wheel will only be able to transfer 4 ftlbs. Often this torque ratio will not get you moving because the slipping wheel is absorbing only a small amount of torque. This type of front end too often just has one spinning front tire and the other doesn't move. On the other hand, the Polaris system is capable of transfering full torque to either front wheel.

Quick Reply: TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD