Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman is the Fattest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris is the Fattest.

I received the latest issue of one of the magazines. They did a shootout of most of the large machines. They weighed each one ready to ride. The Sportsman 800 came in at 832#. The AC was 752#, the Rincon 640#, Brute 668#, King 661#, Grizzly 648#. The bombardier wasn't present, but I guess it would have been over 800#

I weighed my 2005 Sportsman 500 this morning at got 900# (I'll have to take it to the official scales for a more accurate # though). This includes the following
Front brush guard 21#
Rear bumber 10#
Rear ball mount and hook 8#
Rear storage container contents 14#
Front storage contents 24#
Windshield and handguards ?# (maybe 5#)

So, that puts my quad wet, without cargo, at about 820#. Although "Polaris" says that my quad is supposed to be 50# lighter than the 700/800.

I love my sportsman. It rides awesome. If I wanted a lighter quad I'd get the King Quad. I drove a King quad and it was awesome. However, I liked the feel and some of the other things about Mr. Fatty so that's what I bought.

It's getting really old seeing the mags say that the weight is a disadvantage. That's going to depend on what the use is. Not to them. Lighter is better and that's it. Hey mags, let's see some 800# towing runs.

Happy Riding and Have Nice Day.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here here![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

If I was going to lift it into the back of my truck, or I was planning spending all my riding time underneath the quad, then, I would worry about the weight.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff,
Good info as always.....I don't mind the weight of my machine, which I think is easily over 900 pounds with all the stuff I have on it. If I wanted a sport/utility machine, I would get a Yamaha Wolverine....

Looking at my machine add-ons listed in my profile below, I'm sure I'm up there in weight, considering the service manual lists my machine at 765 pounds dry....I know just the 3000 pound winch added quite a few....

the funny thing is, I can keep right up with every machine I've ridden with, out accelerate and out handle almost all of them....thats pretty impressive for a 900+ pound machine....

dave

Old 01-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

one other thing Jeff, this is my 1000 post....beat you to it....ha

Old 01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

You made 1000 posts in 11 months. That's a lot. I made my 962 over 4 years.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
You made 1000 posts in 11 months. That's a lot. I made my 962 over 4 years.
I need to get a life...lol. Or I guess I need to clean the house because all I have been doing is riding, buying parts and installing for the new machine, making parts, etc...and surfing....

Need to figure out a way to weigh my machine. Will be interesting how much it weighs, especially with all the crap I have in the storage area's....Just in the front I have a flat kit, 15' cable and lock, ****** block, tree saver strap, shackle, light, tire guage, extra flat kit, rain jacket and spare belt. In the rear a compressor, tool kit, manuals, extra gloves, and some other crap.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info ... i too don't understand their bisas against weight, they weren't made to race.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Sportsman is the Fattest.

Hey jefffoxsr. Think of the higher weight as costing less $ per pound. If quads were like meat, everyone would buy a Polaris. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Have a great day.
BryceGTX

Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris Sportsman is the Fattest.

The mags cut down Polaris big time on the weight issue. It would win many more shootouts if it were lighter but it is always said to carry the weight well and usually not noticeable. One mag said they could bring down the weight "easily". How I ask? Make it cheaper with crappy wheels and tires? Maybe use more aluminum is all i could think of.

These are not sport quads but are always critiqued as such and rarely are tested for utility and work aspects with maybe ATV mag being the exception because all they do is sport utility machines.

With all the emphasis on weight most people add winches and bumpers and other things to a utility quad that add a lot as mentioned above.

If all the quads were weighted down to the same the sportsman's would win in a race.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman is the Fattest.