Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Tires & wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005 | 09:46 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Scrambler Tires & wheels

Tire and wheel question.
Most the riding I found myself doing is Texas trails and mud. The 04 Scrambler 4x4 has really taken me through just about anything I care to go through and more. While it is not a Big UTE it is a lot of fun to play with.

I am thinking of changing wheels and tires to get a little better ground clearance and some more aggressive traction. My question is what size and kind of wheels and tires can I put on a 04 Scrambler 4x4?
I have heard I could put 25's all the way around. Will tear up my front drive shafts with the increased angle?
Any recomendations will be appreciated.

My bike comes stock with
Front AT23 x 7-10
Rear AT 22 x 11-10

Old 01-30-2005 | 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

I also have a 2004 scrambler 4x4. I'm running 25" mudlites on all 4 tires. I've had my quad for a year now with no problems. I'm very hard on my machine and have had no problems with the front diff or any other part of the 4 wheel drive. The tires fit on the machine with no other modifications. Lost a little top end and you will need to do a clutch kit, so that the take off will feel good and strong.

Old 01-30-2005 | 11:52 PM
|
Trailblazer

Mr Toys Thanks for your reply, Im not real up on all the tire sizing etc..can you tell me what the Full tire specs are your running on front and rear? example: (Front :AT 23x7-10,,Rear AT 22x11-10) What kind of rims did you buy with them?

Im not sure about buying a clutch kit yet, $$$ what will my performance with new wheels & tires be like if I do not get the clutch kit for awhile?

Appreciate the response.

Old 01-31-2005 | 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

I think you need to keep the same tire ratio front to rear for the AWD, slightly taller in front.
I have the douglas .190 on mine but stock size tires.

Old 01-31-2005 | 10:39 AM
Range Rover

I'm running Bear Claws on mine. Awesome in the mud. Check out my pics

Old 01-31-2005 | 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

I put bigger wheels and tires on mine, works great check out my web site to see how they look on mine
also if you want to gain some easy low end with out losing any top end, change your front spocket from the stock 13 tooth to a 12 tooth, you will be amazed at the difference. but don't tell your buddies what you did, just blow them off the line.

Old 01-31-2005 | 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

I have 25-11-10 on the rear and 25-8-12 up front. No you don't need the larger tire up front. If you look at the explorer and some other polaris quads you will see that they have the same gears as the scrambler and the same size tires from the factory. Thats also why the explorer trani will fit into a scrambler. I'm running these tires on Douglas rims. They are awesome tires. As far as weight the front weigh the same as stock and the rears were only a couple pounds heavier.

Old 01-31-2005 | 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

If you went with a smaller tire in the rear than the stock ratio you would find yourself in AWD all the time. Don't know if it would do much damage, but it would be extra wear and tear and very fatigueing. Bigger tires in the rear than the stock ratio will only delay normal AWD engagement. Since it engages so quickly it is still hardly noticeable.

Old 02-01-2005 | 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fishslab
If you went with a smaller tire in the rear than the stock ratio you would find yourself in AWD all the time. Don't know if it would do much damage, but it would be extra wear and tear and very fatigueing. Bigger tires in the rear than the stock ratio will only delay normal AWD engagement. Since it engages so quickly it is still hardly noticeable.
I dont understand. The stock setup is 1" shorter in the rear so IMO the machine must be compenasated for that and the ratios are correct with the smaller rear.???

Old 02-01-2005 | 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Let's say he chose a 20" tire for the rear instead of the stock 22" assuming the front stayed the stock 23". That rear tire would overspin the front quicker than the 22" making AWD either engage all the time or at least even quicker than it does stock. If he were to put a larger rear, let's say 24" with the stock 23" front it would now take longer for the AWD to engage. So if he went 25" rear and 25" front the AWD will engage later than the stock set up. The AWD engagement is based on a ratio of overspin (overdrive front to rear). Even if you went with 24" rear and 25" front the ratio may not be exact compared to stock.

Quick Reply: Scrambler Tires & wheels