Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tapping noise on the right side

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping noise on the right side

Originally posted by: fishing
After the break in period did you have to adjust the carb? Mine has the high altitude jets and is starting to idle a little rough. The elevation here is 7600 and I ride to 13 plus.
I jetted mine when I bought it. I have not had any problems in that area.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I put the trans in neutral that should disengage the clutch right? And the noise should stop? well it doesn't. What about timing?
To eliminate the clutch makeing the noise you need to take it completly off the bike and then start it.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ftwflh
when I put the trans in neutral that should disengage the clutch right? And the noise should stop? well it doesn't. What about timing?
To eliminate the clutch makeing the noise you need to take it completly off the bike and then start it.
I'll give it a shot, Thanks for your help

Old 02-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I was going to guess underwear gnomes, but now I see I could be wrong. If it seems to really fly a full throttle, then I'll bet it is the Raven. When my nephew shredded his belt, it made a very loud knock. Could hear it on my bike when were riding back to camp.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

Nine times out of ten the noise IS the recoil unit, moreover, the two little arms that extend-out and grab the crank when you first pull on the cord. They seldom ever retract all the way when you release the cord and will click on the crank teeth. Eventually one or both will wear to the point that they drop into the housing. I removed mine all together and sealed the recoil hole, due to the fact that I'm running dual batts. and figure that a polaris does not need any extra points of entry for water...drain-hole or not! I seal around the starter real good, as moisture is the number one cause of polaris starter failure, and replace or clean the starter brushes once yearly. So many people blow their money thinking that their starter is bad, when I have not seen the starter yet on a Polaris that simply taking it apart and cleaning the brushes and brush springs and applying a tiny amount of lubricant to the sleeve the brush rides in, didn't fix it for a couple more years, especially if you locate and correct the moisture problem, which usually is the recoil housing. You see, as small amounts of water get past that rubber rip handle, it enters the recoil cover and then boils to a vapor which will find it's way past the bendix, through the starters bearing and seal, and inside the starter it heads. If you don't use a decent marine grease to lube the starters o-ring itself where it enters the case, it will leak there as well. Also the starters plastic end-cap seals will need your attention when sealing things good. And how did I end-up so in depth about a starter when a question about a clicking was asked?... I don't know, I guess I just need conversation, as the wife and kids and dogs all hate me. I have to get my Pit Bull drunk before he will hang-out with me. (-:

Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, I hope to have so time this next weekend to look into some of the ideas everyone has sent me. I've stayed out of the water due to the concern of screwing something up. What is the do's and don'ts of riding in the water?

Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

they (polaris) tells you not over the foot trays but we all know how that goes. had mine over the fenders, check out last pic on my page. we crossed several creeks this race, no problems. just get the water out of everything asap after riding. oh yeah had 1 500 4x4 scrammy over the bars in middle of feb. BRRRR!!! how'd that go?? NOT TOO GOOD!

Old 02-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Don't get water above the seat. Be sure the pull rope is sealed good, after getting out of deep water, drain the crank case, most Polaris's have a bolt that drains the crank vent that drys the belt.Not the oil drain. Well if its that bad may have to do that as well.lol Also the air box may have a drain as well on some models.I always spray the machine down after any good ride with wd-40,all electrical and all movable parts. I always drained the tranny on my old trailbazer it help 30 weight oil so it was no big deal to do that after a good submarine float.