Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Buying a 500 HO & Need Help With Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 500 HO & Need Help With Tires

This is going to be my first 4wd quad. I wanted superior ground clearance is why i picked the Polaris Sportsman Line. I need the most clearance i can get for mud bogging and trail riding. I am planning on either running 27" Mud Machines without a lift ( Sales department said they would fit, but may rub depending on situation) or Lifting it and running something like the 28" or 29" Outlaws. Now if i install a lift kit and big outlaw mud tires will i still be able to flex? I have seen some big atvs before that could barely flex after a lift kit was installed. Also will 29" outlaws clear after a 2" lift kit? Im trying to build it right the first time.Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

with the big tires and the lift it puts extra stress on your axles. Id give your axle life a max of 1500 miles but dont count on it, aftermarket axles are expensive but its usually worth it Id reccomend gorilla axles. you might also need spacers so the tire doesnt rub on the tie rod. you're going to need a clutch kit so you dont burn up your clutch beltsbefore you make an all out bogger, think how much you're actually going to be muddin.... outlaws are horrible trail tires and drivetrain issues could be expensive. Im not trying to dissuade you but this is your first 4x4 and I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

are you buying a new machine, a 2005? You'll clear 27" tires without rubbing. Tie rod contact is a problem with the 27x10-12 tires on the front, also a problem with all earlier versions. Pushing a large tire is going to cause you to loose some power on riding the trail, should do okay, just okay in the mud in low gear. I run 27" Mud Lites, also have 27" 589's on my 05' 700 EFI, couldn't see going bigger than that....not for general purposes.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. Yes i am going to buy a 2005 year model. I was planning on getting the mud tires on some itp wheels (mounting them up for only mud or extreme trail situations) and using the stockers for my normal trail riding. I am leaning more toward the 27" Mud Machines the more i put things into perspective. I have also been thinking about this for example: Running a Bert's 1.5" lift kit and running the 27X12X12 Mud Machines front and rear. This would probably make the steering very hard to turn though and the extra width might not clear the front fenders. I want to stay away from wheelspacers. My mind is full of thoughts SORRY[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

you will have to use wheel spacers or offset wheels if you want to put them on the front....believe me, the 27x9-12 on the front is way way wider than the stock tires.....

here is a pic of some tire choices, these aren't compared to stock, just to each other, 589's vs Mud Lites....589's are alittle better in the mud:

Mud Lite vs 589 front, both 27x9-12

589 vs Mud Lite rear, 589 is 27x11-12, Mud Lite is 27x12-12

the steering is harder with wider tires on the front, I can't even imagine what a 27x12-12 would do to steering on the front, stick with the 27x9-12 on the front, I'm telling you....it is wide.....

I have my stock tires/wheels on my machine right now, if you want to see the width's of all the tires, 589's and Mud Lites, let me know, I have them all stacked next to each other in the garage...i can snap a pic

Old 02-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldnt mind a pic if its not alot of trouble. I got to thinking and if i did run 12" wide tires in the front i am going to get covered so that is out of the question. I have a buddy who has those 589 on his Prarie, they do pretty good. Also im just curious but what are the widths of the factory sportsman rims?

Old 02-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I know that you have a real mud bogger in mind here, but if I were you, I would definetly find some nice mud to play around in first, with a stock machine. A sportsman can do pretty well without too much done to it. Then, once you get a feel for it, you can decide what you want. I reall don't think that you will be disappointed with stock performance, though.
Tyler

Old 02-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: tyler711
I know that you have a real mud bogger in mind here, but if I were you, I would definetly find some nice mud to play around in first, with a stock machine. A sportsman can do pretty well without too much done to it. Then, once you get a feel for it, you can decide what you want. I reall don't think that you will be disappointed with stock performance, though.
Tyler
Yeah i guess your right on that one.It will be left stock for about a month to get it good and broke in before i start modifying anything. During that time i can test its abilities and see exactly how much modifying it needs. But more than likely i would just throw on some 27" Mud Machines and let it be. Thanks all for the replies and help.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

If you havent ridden a sportsman before, I think you will be pleasantly suprised when you hit your first mudhole.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

The stock 6 ply 26 inch radial tires that come with the sportsman are pretty impressive, 3/4 inch tread with a great ride, you might find yourself happy with these. Owners of other bikes are installing these. They go under the name of Ducks unlimited wetlands. Again polaris already has what people are looking for as an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Buying a 500 HO & Need Help With Tires