Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ride of Sportsman VS. Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride of Sportsman VS. Outlander

I wish someone had made this post before I had both. So for the people wondering, here it is.

As you can see I have both. I'll keep this short. The seat on the Outlander is much softer. As a side note I thought Polaris said that the 2005 seat was softer. My friend with a 2002 has a much softer seat than my 2005.

I have ridden both in various conditions. Additionally I just completed my log test that I have done with all my quads.

I set out 5 pieces of firewood on flat pavement all in a row, not staggered. The firewood is small, maybe 4 to 5 inches high. I space the firewood about 15 feet apart. I then ride over the logs at 5 mph twice each way then I switch quads. I repeat this one more time.

Then I ride repeat the above procedure at 10 mph, then at 15 mph.

My sportsman 500 was MUCH softer over the logs. As you can see my preference is "the softer the better".

Have a Nice Day.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Jeff, was that with the rear disconnected or stock IRS on your Sportsman?
We'll have to test that '02 with the softer seat![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You should try the seat on a Yamaha, its like riding bare back!

Old 02-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey jefffoxsr. Great information, thanks for the post. Turns out, prior to buying I looked quite a bit at the Outlander and the Sportsman 400.
Have a great day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
I wish someone had made this post before I had both. So for the people wondering, here it is.

As you can see I have both. I'll keep this short. The seat on the Outlander is much softer. As a side note I thought Polaris said that the 2005 seat was softer. My friend with a 2002 has a much softer seat than my 2005.

I have ridden both in various conditions. Additionally I just completed my log test that I have done with all my quads.

I set out 5 pieces of firewood on flat pavement all in a row, not staggered. The firewood is small, maybe 4 to 5 inches high. I space the firewood about 15 feet apart. I then ride over the logs at 5 mph twice each way then I switch quads. I repeat this one more time.

Then I ride repeat the above procedure at 10 mph, then at 15 mph.

My sportsman 500 was MUCH softer over the logs. As you can see my preference is "the softer the better".

Have a Nice Day.
The seat gets better as you put miles on the bike. It took about 500 miles on my 04 EFI before the seat got to the "sweet spot".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Oh BTW thanks for the test, I thought the Outlander may have had the Sportsman in ride from what all the rags say.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

You're welcome guys.

I have compared my friend's 2004.5 sportsman 500 back to back against the Outlander in the same log test last summer. Both the Outlander and 2004.5 sportsman felt about the same.

I think because the 2005 model has softer shock rates, softer spring rates, and the flex of the radial tires, that made all the difference.