Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH

Tons of good info on here - thanks already for the help the site has provided in coming up to speed.

I'm new to the hobby and will be buying 2 quads (make that 3 when you count the 'lil 50 for the kid) in the next month or so for the wife and me. Narrowed down to the 500 HO and the Kodiak 450 ('05 w/ IRS). Any opinions? I'm leaning toward the Sportsman I think the value / features in this price range outweigh the Kodiak, plus the IRS is new on this model so may need some kinks worked out. We'll be doing mostly light trail riding but occasionally I'll have a buddy over and we'll want the greater power. Am I on the right track?

Any experience with Keene motorsports in New Hampshire? Been really impressed thus far, but I know that after the sale is what really counts!

thanks in advance.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 500 ho is the most reliable motor that Polaris has and it has a ton of torque. The kodiak in nice but the ride, power and options on the Sp are far better.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I love my 500HO!! Havn't been impressed with the Kodiak 450 (2004 model) ... seen a couple on the trail ... it's not bad ... just not impressive.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

i bought my scrambler and my snowmobile from keene motorsports,havent had any real problems with them.my buddy on the other hand,he bought a scrambler 500 through them,brought it in to have the swingarm bushings replaced under warranty,when he got it back and went for a ride one of the swingarm bolts fell out,they never put locktite on the bolt..if you do get a machine through them double check their work if you have it serviced there..

Old 02-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

I would check out poor farm trading post in townsand ma. ask for kim. their polaris prices will blow away keene motorsports. keene motor sports have a very bad reputation around this area. they told me their prices are higher because they have to pay factory trained techs. most dealers have to pay factory trained reps. dont trust their sales pitch.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

I bought my 800 off of Kim from poor Farm. They took my Pred in trade in Nov. in which they knew they would sit on until spring. Keene would not take trade even tho I have bought some 8 quads through them in the last 3 yrs. I was upset and Poor Farm took care of me. They even gave me $4400 in trade. I don't know how there service is yet, but Keene service has been lacking.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm headed over there in 20 minutes! I didn't even see Poor Farm when I did my search... they are about 10 minutes from my house. thanks!

Old 02-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

I think poor farm is closed until tues morning. give them a try. ask for kim. I bought a 700efi, and an 800efi from him.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

On the surface, both quads seem to be very similar, but in the details they are very different.
The big question is, do you want to control the 4wd or do you want it automatic? On the kodiak, you can select 2wd, 4wd ( some call this 3wd, but if the fronts have equal traction, its 4wd), or 4wd locked. Anytime, any surface, forwards or backwards, uphill or downhill. Youre totally in control, of which tires get power. No excuses , no problems. The yami has a differential in front, so if you want max traction on hard pack, you can select 4wd and not have to fight the steering in front. Also if you preferr to prevent wheelspin, and maintain traction, you can on the yami, but the polaris needs to spin the back two tires to get front drive. If youre pulling a trailer thru your yard, and its wet and slippery, and hilly...do you want to churn the sod, or pull the load?
The polaris is only gonna give 4wd when the back two tires have already lost traction. And there is no 4wd engine braking, just the back two tires get engine braking.
The polaris has one brake lever for all four tires, the yami has separate front and back brakes.
The polaris cvt needs you to use low range for going under 25 mph, because of the design, its very tough on belts to use high range for slow going. The yami doesnt care, its your choice if you want low or high range.
So...do you want choice...or do you want it all figured out for you?
It all gets down to personal preference, they both are strong, and quick...polaris is gonna be quicker and have the top speed, and both are reliable. It gets down to whether or not you want choices, for traction.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
On the surface, both quads seem to be very similar, but in the details they are very different.
The big question is, do you want to control the 4wd or do you want it automatic? On the kodiak, you can select 2wd, 4wd ( some call this 3wd, but if the fronts have equal traction, its 4wd), or 4wd locked. Anytime, any surface, forwards or backwards, uphill or downhill. Youre totally in control, of which tires get power. No excuses , no problems. The yami has a differential in front, so if you want max traction on hard pack, you can select 4wd and not have to fight the steering in front. Also if you preferr to prevent wheelspin, and maintain traction, you can on the yami, but the polaris needs to spin the back two tires to get front drive. If youre pulling a trailer thru your yard, and its wet and slippery, and hilly...do you want to churn the sod, or pull the load?
The polaris is only gonna give 4wd when the back two tires have already lost traction. And there is no 4wd engine braking, just the back two tires get engine braking.
The polaris has one brake lever for all four tires, the yami has separate front and back brakes.
The polaris cvt needs you to use low range for going under 25 mph, because of the design, its very tough on belts to use high range for slow going. The yami doesnt care, its your choice if you want low or high range.
So...do you want choice...or do you want it all figured out for you?
It all gets down to personal preference, they both are strong, and quick...polaris is gonna be quicker and have the top speed, and both are reliable. It gets down to whether or not you want choices, for traction.
It allmost sounds like you don't like Polaris 4x4 system.

Quick Reply: 500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH