Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 05:58 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?

Okay , I have a Traxter Xt with 3500 hard miles.

Now my question is I really like the Sportsman's the twins especially BUT, I'm looking for something that has LOW maintenance and is very reliable. I have seen the Pics and Video's and you guys sure put your machines through some Hell, need more water shots and mud too. Anyhow my friend has a 03 700 SP and blew the motor at 2700 miles, which Polaris covered so that's good, he also blew a starter, No backup so we towed him again out of the woods.
I hear the 04 and up are good machines, my question is what kind of break downs do you guys have, do you have to do lots of maintenance as I'm looking for something I don't need to touch, like the clutch and belt, I don't want to have to play with it, like the Yam Grizzly's you drive them till the belt needs changing which is about 8-10.000 miles.
But I like the Sportsman's better so if I can get honest information and advise to how tough they really are, then I want one.
The type of riding I do is anything from Mountains to Swamps to Water crossing's to high speed fire roads, on trips that consist of 60-100 + miles.
I know you have to use LOW gear lots to keep the belt from burning, but what kind of clutch problems will I encounter, do I have to open it up and play and tune it up, as this is not something I want to do, I want to start it and ride, and change oil when necessary. The Sp's are tough looking but I've heard so many horror stories on other forums I'm afraid, but seeing what you guys do with yours gives me a boost.
Is a Sportsman right for me, or should I buy a Grizzly? They all have some issues but when it comes down to it the Grizzly seems to have far less, but I like the SP better, just can't afford to be breaking down and having to repair it over stupid things.
BTW I'm from Quebec Canada, so my machine sees the cold and snow too.

Thanks guys and please I need Facts and honesty.

Old 02-24-2005 | 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would say with the type of riding that you do a twin would be a good choice. As long as you maintain the atv you pick it should last. We have three 03 700's that ride in our group an none have had the first major problem One boot and one starter.

Old 02-24-2005 | 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with sportsman70003, sounds like you are gonna mud it so stick with a twin. another great feature on new models like the King Quad and SP700/SP800 is that they are available with EFI so you wouldn't have to deal with any chokes or jet changing. keep us informed on what your thinking of doing. You may even want to wait a bit and see if the rumors are true about the new polaris SP500EFI if so you could get that which would be a single cyl. but you could spend the extra money saved on a header with performance pipe and get a clutch kit and some wheels/tires. something to think about.

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well Stumppuller, you do make some good points. I hate to be a party pooper but if you want a quad that you don't have to touch I would stay away from Polaris. I love my Sp600, don't get me wrong, but the Polaris quads in general are a tinkering man's quad. They just seem to require more TLC than other brands. However, the Grizzly has had axle problems, fuel boiling issues and more. No machine is perfect and maintenance free. Just by going with IRS there are four more CV boots than a solid axle machine which will require attention eventually. If you want low maintenance then get a two wheel shaft drive with a 5 sp gear box. I think it comes down to sacrifice. No one machine is going to satisfy all your needs including being low maintenance. How do you think Polaris stays in business, they may not be the most reliable machines but they lead the way with inovative ideas and industry leading technology. Bottom line is that you will most likely have to deal with some bugs, (fogging speedo, carb updates), but the Sportsman can not be beat when it comes to traction, comfort, features and rider satisfaction. Oh yeah, did I mention I love my Sp600!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I can't say that I agree with Zerowick. I got my Sportsman 400 about 8 months ago. Since then, it has seen over 1000 hard miles, the last few hundred "playing" (getting the crap beaten out of it) in the snow and snowbanks. Only maintenance is the regular stuff, oil and fluids. I have had a few CV boots rip, but once you know how, it's an easy fix (15-20 mins). I go on mud rides down the powerline roads all the time, and thats mud up to the seat. This winter, I have had a blast breaking through snowbanks and beaching myself in snowdrifts. The wheeler was completely packed solid with snow and ice, and even through our cold temperatures this winter (-30*F a few days, a record) it started fine and nothing broke. It was frozen so bad once that the front wheels wouldnt turn, they just slid as I drove. I put it in AWD and broke them free, no damage. I love my sportsman.

Old 02-25-2005 | 12:03 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks for the info guys, now what about maintenance, can I leave the clutch alone, or does it need playing with? What I mean is can I get 5000 miles out a cluth without ever opening it up, like a Yam clutch, or do I have to maintain it somehow. Now of course under normal usage using LOW gear when I should.

Also I have a canoe rack with a 12 foot aluminum canoe, so I'd be putting that on with a passenger, 5 gallons of extra gas, camping gear and some other supplies. Can a Sportsman handle this on FIRE ROADS in HIGH gear or will it blow a belt off, as I would be travelling around 35mph, at about 60-100 mile trips. When I hit the woods it gets put in LOW but I need to travel fast enough on the fire roads.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2005 | 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

tyler711, glad to hear your machine has been reliable, just goes to show Polaris can build a quality product. You certainly have put it to the test.

Stumppuller1, the Polaris CVT is probably the most reliable part of the machine and should be the least of your worries. Don't forget that Polaris was first to use this type of transmission in an ATV and they build them right. Besides, it's not the clutch but the belt that is a wear item and it is covered by a "lifetime warranty". I do a lot of towing myself, around 800lbs of manure and trailer uphill into the fields, and I have never even so much as smelled my belt, it has never once heated up. I always use low because of the terrain and tach it out to 6000+ rpm's at times with no problems. My high range towing experience is limited but I think if you avoid frequent stops and starts you will be fine, you want to maintain belt engagement. You can get up to 20 mph in low, not that you would want to for very long, but I myself never worry about over revving the engine, more damage is done by bogging an engine, that goes for all vehicles.

Old 02-25-2005 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Zerowick's right, a clutch will not go, it is the belt that would eventually go first. As long as you keep moving, there shouldnt be a problem. And if you had a lot of weight, they can still move pretty well in low gear. If i was carrying an extra belt, I would have no worries whatsoever.

Zerowick, what is the rev limiter set to on the sportsman's? I just came in from doing donuts on the ice and when i looked down once the tach said 7100 rpm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I was in low range, isnt it supposed to stop somewheres?

Also, stumppuller, there are many aftermarket belts available. These would help if you did find that the stock belt didn't like your riding style (even though it should be completely fine, those transmissions are very tough).

Tyler

Old 02-25-2005 | 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003
I would say with the type of riding that you do a twin would be a good choice. As long as you maintain the atv you pick it should last. We have three 03 700's that ride in our group an none have had the first major problem One boot and one starter.
Dude....your sportsman 700 looks awesome. Great job with all of the accessories.

Old 02-25-2005 | 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

I tend to agree that polaris is now a very reliable machine. The ones that I have seen break down was due to the set-up's and the way the machine was treated. I have seen 5 CV joints bust on different polaris, but the one thing they all had in common was they had lifts in the range of 4-12 inches and 28+ inch tires. All that coupled with the way the rider was treating it ment doom. BUT, I have seen many polaris sportsman's with practical setups that have done great. It doesn't matter how good the quality is from the factory of any mfg......if the owner treats the quad bad, the reliability will give in. I own a kawasaki 700 prairie with several accessories and I trully love the machine, BUT I would have no problem at all buying a SP700 or 800.

Quick Reply: Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?