Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read over and over about the CVs on the front of the Polaris's not being very sturdy and subject to breaking. I have repairs CVs on Hondas, Yamahas and Polaris's. The Polaris CV is just as heavy or heavier than the other brands. The reason they break is lifts and tight turning radius. If you keep your lift within reason. (1.5" or less), and you put some sort of steering limiter like the easy steer that has been discussed on here, I think it would take much effort to break on. As long as the CV does not get in a bind, I believe the axel will break before the CV will break.

Greg

Old 09-21-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

A wide turning radius was a constant bone of contention on our prevous quad (A Honda 450ES)

We won't even mention the hard steering.

You know, now that I think about it. I have never seen a Honda Dealership without a service department.

Old 09-21-2000, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Great post!

I've been looking at this subject myself, but haven't gotten a real answer as to what part actually breaks. I was told that with a lift, the inner ujoint lobes can bind under full extension causing breakage.

I'll find out just how strong they are, as my HO is coming from the dealer with 27" titan 589's. The dealer did need to put washers behind the wheels to keep the raised letters from rubbing the tie rods though.

So Greg, how many have you broken?

DieselPro aka TD-Max

Old 09-21-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Could it be too that the due to the fact that when in 4 wheel drive all wheel are spinning and no give is there? would that put undo stress espeically with 27 or 28 inch tires?

Old 09-21-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

I know Greg trashed a U-Joint or two on the old SP, have u tore any out of the Yeller one yet?.
I crashed one on the front end of the USS_Polaris a month of so back. But, it was clearly my fault; experimenting with WAY too much lift and leaning sideways in a hole with the throttle pinned. hehehehehe..
I agree, the Polaris ones are just as durable as the "Others"

Old 09-21-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

On the 98SP500, Polaris used u-joints on the rear and they would not hold up to 27X12-12 vamps. The new bikes use CV joints. I have never seen a broke u-joint on the front of a Polaris. On the front it is always the CV joint and always broken in reverse with the wheels cocked sideways. Some people have told me that their broke going forward, but they all say it was clicking with the front turned. Which means the cage was already broke before... probably in reverse.

Greg

Old 09-21-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Well Greg I am going to tell you that they will break going forward in a straight line. With or without a lift. I have broken quite a few of them and everyone of them broke going forward.

Old 09-21-2000, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Greg you have to push that black thing with your thumb to break anything

Old 09-22-2000, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

I've seen them break also going straight ahead (forward) stock tires and no lift. Of all the guys I ride with, we've seen 4 front cv's, 2 rear cv's, 1 front axel, 2 rear u-joints. I've come to the conclusion that we are just a bit more extream than most. (Please note, these quads are pretty well taken care of, just ridden to the extream.) The old saying goes, "If your going to play than you have to pay".

Old 09-22-2000, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

xepathfinder,

That is an excellent point, and definitely plays a part in the breakage. DieselPro, I believe the part that always breaks is the cage that holds the ***** in place. I've broken one, and that's all that broke. Maybe if that "cage" were made of something more durable. I don't know???

Quick Reply: CV Joints