Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions for lube (Amsoil esp) experts!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for lube (Amsoil esp) experts!

Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Xplorer 250 4x4 2-stroke that I bought used. The previous owner was of the mindset that any 'ol 2 cycle oil was good enough for the quad, so he couldn't tell me what brand he used and whether it was dino or synthetic. When the tank of whatever he had in it runs out, I plan on going with an Amsoil synthetic. So here's my deal:

I don't know whether to go with the Interceptor or the HP Injector oil. In my manual it says to go with Polaris Gold Syn or Polaris Premium oil, which is TC-W3 spec. The Interceptor seems to be higher on the food chain than HP Injector, which is TC-W3 & API TC, while the Interceptor is JASO FC & API TC, but says nothing about TC-W3 like my manual recommends. (I'm not even going to pretend that I have the foggiest idea what any of that means! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] ) Also, the Interceptor seems to be geared toward high performance and power valves. My quad is just a bone stock trail rider, however, I want to put whatever is best for my quad, in my quad.

So what's the best stuff to use to keep my quad in tip top shape?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

if you're not going to run the recommended gold as your manual states then i would run the hp injector. it would be the closer of the 2 for your bike. tc-w3 is two cycle water cooled, look at boat motor oils and you'll find that.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

My quad is air cooled though. Does that matter?

Old 02-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

no, it just specifies that the oil can be used in certain motors. too many people believe oil is just oil. if that were the case the why do i have to stock so d@mn many? thats what i usually ask them when they tell me this. lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

okay, just did some quick cross referencing. the interceptor oil looks very close to the polaris racing synthetic that i used for a while. as for everyday use, don't really think you'd see that much benefit over the hp injector oil or the polaris gold. ive ran the gold for the last 3 yrs of racing and its been great. 1 plug lasted all last season. this is running premixed, not injected.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I'm using the oil injector on my quad. So do you think the Gold is better than the HP Injector?

Old 02-27-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

id say from the looks of the specs they are pretty close in quality. and amsoils products are good.
and another thing, some of the polaris oil prices are increasing the amsoil appers to be a little cheaper comparing quantities. this is also the reason you'll see klotz racing or something else in my fuel this yr. i have both at the shop, and im going with whatever's cheaper. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
for that matter maybe i'll check out amsoils products and get some. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Here are the links to the oils in question:

Interceptor Oil

HP Injector Oil

Old 02-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

mylhouse,

i run this one . i've been running it in everything i own from boat to quads to chainsaws with good results. it's a little pricier but i don't foul plugs in any of my equipment. if you need to find a dealer that sells it i can help.

steve

Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I would take any synthetic 2 stroke oil over petroleum based, so with that said, I would use price (mostly) as a guideline. I have the same quad and use Amsoil products in it. The engine in this quad is so mild and 'de tuned' that buying the best (highest priced) oil is probably not necessary.