Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is Polaris waiting for?!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Polaris waiting for?!!!!!!!!!!!

While they're at it, and since they obviously have the technology, throw a turbo in it with EFI. It's a slam dunk. They would leave all others in the absolute dust.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: treehugger
BMW has a prototype with a 1130 cc motorcyle engine. The test pilot chickened out at 120 mph. they are also experimenting with a 1.3 litre engine that puts out 1100 hp, big enough?
Harley has a 1130cc motorcycle engine, co-engineered with Porshe, in the V-Rod. 120hp and 140mph. Too bad Harley won't make a quad!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
I've been on the pred, and as I've said its a great consumer machine. It's just not a racer. I'm not listening to what others say, I'm speaking from what I see.
I might agree with you except for the fact that I highly doubt that any serious racing quad is totally stock. I suspect there is big money pumped into these quads. The only thing I as a "consumer rider" can do is compare stock quads. Given that, seems there are very few (if any) stock quads better than the Predator.
JMO
BryceGTX
I understand your point, and its a valid one. That said, even when you pump serious money into the pred, its still not as capable as a less modified 450 on the mx track, or other atv in a different situation. And if we talk stock, the 450 class quads are better handling, lighter, more powerful, and IMO easier to control than the pred. The ds is a better duner and desert machine in any trim. IMO the best comparison is the Raptor and the Predator. Both are big bore sport quads, both have reverse, and both are excellent on the trails. The pred has the handling advantage, and the jury seems to still be out on the power advantage. Another good matchup might be a Kawisukicat.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Maddog, you're totally missing the point. The Pred of Smiley's is basically a stock powerplant running against others with serious dollars poured into them. And getting cocky after one podium? Once again, read up, Polaris JUST STARTED this race program. You're trying to make is sound like their sitting on their hands. After the first two races ( of a series they just entered, not two years, two events) they've posted a 5th and a 3rd place finish......and once again, these were both races against quads with highly modded powerplants....while the Pred internals remained basically stock.

Sorry to repeat everything, just hoping that maybe it will finally sink in that way. Anyone notice the absence of Yamaha in WSA this year?

Old 03-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're missing the point, it took 20 years before Polaris started a racing program and 2 years after the release of the bike. You can count Rath if you want, but IMO his influence was more towards the design and refinement of the machine and less so his job to put the bike on the podium. Back when Honda, Yamaha, Zuki and Kawi were releasing high powered 2 stroke sport quads Polaris was just starting out and didnt have anything to bring to the sport market. They didnt feel the need to get into the act until 2003 when the raptor, bomb, and cdale had already launched the comeback of the sport atv market. Sport has never been a big market for them in the past and they took their sweet time to release one. They are commited to making the Pred better, but how commited are they to expanding the lineup? Telling me they threw sponsorship out for one rider 2 years after the bike comes out doesnt do much for me. They may be having impressive showings, but what does that have to do with the consumer sport quad market? That is what we were talking about before you pulled out the "Pro-sponsorship" token. It's no indication of a bigger lineup or even a more purpose built machine. Either make it a 450cc race machine and compete on the same playing field or come to the realization that its a great trail quad and not a race bike any more than any other big bore quad is.

Personally I think there is room in the Polaris showroom for at least 2 sport machines, maybe 3. The scramblers are very impressive, but there is a reason that yamaha sells more warriors than wolverines.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

hey trailgunner were do you live. i am calling you out. i will put 1,000$ to your 500$ to race my pred at dumont. you name the weekend and i will show you how much sand mt skats kick up. we will also video tape it and put it right back hear on this topic. that way everything will be settled. sound OK! and back onto the topic of polaris. i have 3 preds and the only thing i wish thay would do is lighten up the dam motor. thats why daryl put a ktm motor in his. its to heavy. my pred beat evry yfz and 450r and ds that would race me at dumont last weekend. and uy sunday we had alot of yfz owners came over at my camp were very empressed with the pred. being they kept getting beat. if you have a yfz and were out a dumont last weekend you know who you are it was my pred that was so fast. thay kept aksing what do you have done to that thing. ha ha ha. i love it.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

IMO the best comparison is the Raptor and the Predator. Both are big bore sport quads, both have reverse, and both are excellent on the trails.
I think the Raptor is short in the suspension compared to the Pred and 4 inches too narrow. The YFZ and Predator are same proportions with the Predator having more suspension travel. I don't buy the weight is a big issue. When you add a 150 lb rider and 25 lbs of fluids, the Pred is 587 and the YFZ is 525. The Pred is only 12% heavier. For the average rider on the average trail, it's probably going to be the rider that makes the difference. I think the Raptor is a different story, its narrow track is going to make is less capable in the corners and its suspension will be its short coming in the bumps. All this ignores the Predators apparent advantage with its bump steer resistant front end, suspension differences and tires. The Predator is an excellent combination and I think Polaris hit the nail on the head. And they did it at the same price as the Raptor and $700 cheaper than the YFZ.
JMO
BryceGTX

Old 03-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Back when Honda, Yamaha, Zuki and Kawi were releasing high powered 2 stroke sport quads Polaris was just starting out and didnt have anything to bring to the sport market. They didnt feel the need to get into the act until 2003 when the raptor, bomb, and cdale had already launched the comeback of the sport atv market. Sport has never been a big market for them in the past and they took their sweet time to release one.
LOL It almost sounds as if you're complaining that you have too many choices. Even if you don't like the Pred, Polaris releasing the Predator will keep the others on their toes..
BryceGTX

Old 03-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Uh, and Yamaha's had the Banshee and Raptor out for how many years...just this year they "cautiously" started sponsoring Ballance. Kawi and Suzuki have stepped up. What's Honda doin"?

Geez pal, after the legal turmoil of the last ten years, ya start diggin' on a company for taking two years to step up like they have. They never even made a true sport quad before the Pred. Hello!

Old 03-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

You know what I haven't had in a while?.....Big League Chew.

Quick Reply: What is Polaris waiting for?!!!!!!!!!!!