Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 sp 700 rising oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 sp 700 rising oil level?

Zerowick, I agree totally with what you said but I also know what the manual says . I am going to go by the manual and see what happens. Just a suggestion for you. Try the way the manual says with the level of oil you have in your machine and see where it reads then make your decision. From the amount of oil I have in the glass jar that I removed from the crankcase, it looks like about 8 oz. I am going to check the level after running and then put the 8 oz back in and then check the level again. I will let you know.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zerowick
doesn't make sense to start an engine first before checking the oil. You are checking the oil to prevent engine damage in the event there is not enough. If oil is supposed to be warm when checked then there would be a "hot" and a "cold" reading on the stick. Mine always reads the same regardless of temperature. Also doesn't make sense that the marks on the dipstick are pretty much useless with the "2 quart" theory. I'm sticking with the dipstick until someone from Polaris Engineering tells me to do otherwise.

Your not heating the oil by only running the engine for 30 seconds, you are circulating oil to all parts of the engine first and then checking for the proper level. For whatever reason this is how the dipstick was calibrated, so you can choose to go by the recommended procedure or not. My attempt is help you guys out and maybe reduce the confusion, again I would advise you to run the 2 quarts as there will be much more severe damage from the possibility of oil starvation than running a bit over full....

Old 04-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I did the manual's ridiculous oil checking procedure this morning and made sure I was quick to grab my rag and remove the dipstick, wipe it, put it back in and remove again to check. Exactly the same as when I check it without starting it first. Because of the angle of the dipstick there is a high and a low reading and even the low one is at the top of the safe range. It's stuff like this that, in my opinion, gives Polaris a bad reputation. Think about it. We shoudn't even be having this discussion! Motor oil level is one of the most important maintenance checks and there should be absolutely no confusion about it. I love my machine and it performs everything I ask it to, but I find it absurd that we have to put up with "quirks" like this to remain brand loyal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Poweslider. Well guys the problem with the rising oil has been solved thanks to Powerslider. It was operator error on my part for not reading the manual. I must confess I am 55 years old and have never owned an internal combustion engine where you had to check the oil after running the motor. I just did not take the time to read the manual. The oil that I pulled out of the engine 3 days ago was crystal clear and with no trace of water. So the original repair job ( internal seal and rebuild) worked and is holding. As for the coolant level going down, I dont think it is going down, at least not in great amounts. I think it was still working air out of the system and a little bit leaking out of the weep hole. The weep hole thing seems to be something inherent in the machines and I will just have to live with it. Everything in the water pump is new and there is still an occasional drip from the weep hole, that I can live with. Thanks guys for all your help and a special thanks to Powerslider for knocking me upside the head and making me read the Manual. When Polaris says 2 quarts they mean 2 quarts. It is up to us dummies to read the manual and know how to check it.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Your welcome Biggator, this newfangled technology keeps us on our toes lol.....

Old 04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Biggator
When Polaris says 2 quarts they mean 2 quarts. It is up to us dummies to read the manual and know how to check it.
Polaris says 2 quarts but the dipstick says otherwise. The "start then check" method doesn't displace 6-8 ounces for the dipstick to read correctly, at least not in my experience. With 2 quarts in the system the oil level is in the twist on the stick which makes the safe zone irrelevant. Doesn't make sense to me. Where is the oil level showing on the stick for you guys with 2 quarts in the system? With 1.75 quarts mine consistantly reads at the very top of the safe zone even after using the manual's absurd "checking procedure". As a side note, I check my oil with my machine on a perfectly level garage floor.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: zerowick
Originally posted by: Biggator
When Polaris says 2 quarts they mean 2 quarts. It is up to us dummies to read the manual and know how to check it.
Polaris says 2 quarts but the dipstick says otherwise. The "start then check" method doesn't displace 6-8 ounces for the dipstick to read correctly, at least not in my experience. With 2 quarts in the system the oil level is in the twist on the stick which makes the safe zone irrelevant. Doesn't make sense to me. Where is the oil level showing on the stick for you guys with 2 quarts in the system? With 1.75 quarts mine consistantly reads at the very top of the safe zone even after using the manual's absurd "checking procedure". As a side note, I check my oil with my machine on a perfectly level garage floor.[/

With the engile cold and sitting on level surface the oil is just above the top of the twist about an 1/8"/1/4" up the flat. As I stated before, I checked my neighbors 04 700 and it read the same( cold and on level surface). I know it is a hard pill to swallow but this is the way Polaris has designed it. So we Polaris owners are going to have to adapt. My primary concern that started all this mess was that my Seal replacement in the water pump failed and that I had coolant entering the crankcase but now that I have done all the checks, removed a portion of the oil and checked it for coolant/oil separtion and learned the correct way to check the oil I am now convinced that all is well. I will continue to check back on the forum if I have any other problems arise.Thanks to all for your help in this matter.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Powerslider you are right. I did learn one thing out of this. Never assume anything when it comes to ATV's. You can rest assured that when I buy my next ATV which BTW will be an 800(Waiting for green or camo to come out) I will sit down and read the manual from cover to cover. Thanks again!!

Old 04-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

So who do we believe? Polaris or the dip stick?
Think i will go with polaris.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey! Who you callin' a dipstick? No, really, it would be nice if a Polaris Tech could shed some light on this issue and clear up the confusion and the discrepancy between dipstick and literature. Let's shoot 'em an e-mail.

Quick Reply: 03 sp 700 rising oil level?