Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 sp 700 rising oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 sp 700 rising oil level?

I changed the oil and filled it to the safe zone right in the middle, as i noticed 2 quarts always goes over the line. I noticed after riding about 6 hours that the oil level had risen to above the second dot. So i drained it back down and rode another weekend and checked it again and it was back up high again? I have always been constantly needing to add anitfreeze to it. My dad's 02' seems to be doing the same thing? Anybody else had this ? Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Does the oil smell like gas or antifreeze? Any white smoke out the exhaust? exhaust smell funny?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

You could have an internal seal problem where the anti freeze is mixing into the oil.
Did it look funny when you drained it?

I have heard of the radiator purging but if your oil level is raising too thats what it sounds like to me.

I had the early waterpump plate problem/fix but nothing with the oil.

Jim

Old 03-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have noticed the oil being a little light colored? I have not had the waterpump problem that i Know of but dad's 02 is doing the same thing and he has had the waterpump problemand fix.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

I am going throught the exact same thing with my 03 700. It is possibly the internal oil seal leaking allowing oil to enter the crankcase. I had it fixed and have been monitoring it and unfortunately it is still occuring. My tech is puzzled as to why it is still happening. He did find a passageway that is only sealed by a gasket on the water pump. He thinks that might be where the oil is getting in the crankcase. Evidently there is a problem with the 03 700's and it is too bad Polaris won't acknowledge it and fix it. I will let you know how the second repair comes out.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

If you dont mind me asking what did they do to fix your dads waterpump problem as I am having the same problem

Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dad put the new aluminum cover on the water pump and that fixes that problem. I have replaced the internal water pump seal behind the impeller and put the new aluminum cover on the outside and that seems to have solved my problem for now. Oil level and water staying where they supposed to.

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Rem 1100 for your reply. A few things have changed since my last post which hopefully will be helpfull for you and others. My oil level has always been just above the swirl on the dipstick since I changed it a couple of weeks ago. As I stated I already had the cover update done shortly after I bought the machine and that fixed the external leak and I also had the inner seal replaced a couple of months ago due to coolant in the oil. After the replacement I monitored the coolant and oil and the coolant level continued to drop over a period of time. It was hard to tell about the oil as it was hard to see a level on the dip stick. A couple of weeks ago I decided to change the oil again and put exactly 2 quarts in plus filter . I still could not get an acurate reading on the dipstick so I am not sure where it was showing on the dip stick after the oil change. It appeared to be well above the upper safe hole. I have had to add coolant, although just a little, since then. Today I pumped out oil into a glass quart jar until the oil level was visible and touching the upper hole on the dip stick. I also had painted the lower portion of the dipstick with high heat black paint to make it easier to see. I ended up with about 1 1/2" of oil left in the quart jar. I will monitor the jar for any water/oil separation. I also rode down to my neighbors who recently bought a 2004 700 twin and checked his oil level. The machine was cold and had not been driven in several days. The reading on his dipstick was exactly the same as mine was reading before I pumped the oil out (well above the upper safe hole). He had factory oil in it and it has never been changed or added to. This made me feel a little better. I will now monitor the oil level and coolant level. I did find some seepage around the weep hole on the water pump. This was even after a complete rebuild. This seems to be an inherent problem with the 700 twins. This I can live with. Again thanks for your reply and I will let you and everyone else know what the final result is. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

well guys my 700 had the same problem but i found it out after overheating...IT got hot but the radiator was cool so i checked the oil..it was all in the case...a plastic seal was replaced from behind the water pump.....it still slowly ran down the antifreeze and from time to time would overheat..instead of bringing it to the dealer in the winter in northern minnesota when there are alot of snowmobiles we waited till season was over....went back in and it turned out that the right jug had a hairline crack in it

Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

i forgot to mention that it is also an 03 and the dealer replaced under warranty as it was considered a factory defect....

Quick Reply: 03 sp 700 rising oil level?