Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another scrambler clutch ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another scrambler clutch ??

Hello all you polaris fanatics. I'm sorry but Im going to rehash what i image is an old question. I have an 01 500 scrambler 4X4 with a supertrapp pipe and stage 1 jet kit and k&n filter. I'm wondering about an agressive clutch kit. Is it worth doing? What will it do for my scrambler. I trail ride and mud alittle. I'd like better take off, okay i want to pull the front end off the ground. From all y'alls experiences, what do i need? All you help would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Brooks

Old 03-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

<FONT face="Times New Roman">
With any modification you do to a machine to increase power, with a variable transmission, (such as the PVT). The clutch must be adjusted to get that power out of the machine. Your factory clutching is matched with the powerband of the factory machine. When you add power ( ie: exhaust, jetting etc. etc.), Your clutching will still engage and shift out the same as a stock machine. The clutching must be adjusted. For a better understanding of how the PVT transmission work purchase yourself a copy of the AAEN clutch tuning handbook http://www.aaenperformance.com/. I always suggest you buy and read this manual before attempting spring /weight changes on your clutching so that you actually understand what you have done, what you gain and sacrifice with each change.

But to answer your question, Yes you will see an night and day difference in your machine with an aggressive clutch kit.

</FONT>.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 4strokes the clutching isnt as important as with a 2stroke.With the 500 you have so much lowend torque that if you clutch it where the engagment is too high you will loose some lowend.The best way to clutch a 500 is to make it where YOU like it.I would recomend just putting in a Polaris green primary spring and setting your secondary at 2-2.Cost you all of $20 and you will think you have a new quad.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, just change the primary spring and this will give you the take off you want without hurting top end.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ftwflh, I,m new to this.....had the scrambler since 2001 but never messed with the clutch. You seem to post alot so i'd like to pick your brain, sortta speak. What would a complete clutch kit do for me? I'm not knowledgable in this area, but i follow directions well. i appreciate your time and suggestions Bill