Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polishing scratches Scrambler 500 2004

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing scratches Scrambler 500 2004

I have a 2004 scambler 500 2004. The black plastic shows terrible scratch marks. Does anyone now how to polish the scratches out of the plastic? And what type of polish to use with a rotary buffer? I have tried armor all but all that does is hide them for awhile.

Please help!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered a kit off the net. that is used to repair and polish plastic. It has a heavy and light scratch remover. I will get this in the mail sometime in the next week. I will let you know how it works.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

dude its a quad, its gonna get scratches on it, i armor all mine when i get bored lol, i wouldnt be to concerned about it unless ur gonna like show it or something?? why do u wanna buffer out all the scratches anyways?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

The black shows everything, I waxed and polished and gave up, they just keep showing up. Most the time you can't even tell what color my quad is anyway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

mine shows scratches but i bought it to ride and have fun on not to keep it in mint condition

Old 03-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

I have used a product called NOVUS. It comes in three different levels of scratch removal. #1 Plastic Clean and Shine, #2 Fine Scratch Removal, and #3 Deep Scratch Removal.

Immediately after use, the plastic looks like new(close anyway), but after oneor two rides, they come back. This stuff sort of fills in the scratches so you don't notice them. I only have used it when I am showing my quad to new friends that haven't seen it before.

I have talked to my riding club about my scratches and a few of them have taken a propane torch to their plastic. They VERY CAREFULLY passed the torch over the plastic until the slow melt fille in the scratch. I have not been brave enough to try this one. Maybe before I trade it someday, but thats along ways off.(IF EVER)

Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bloombastic
I have used a product called NOVUS. It comes in three different levels of scratch removal. #1 Plastic Clean and Shine, #2 Fine Scratch Removal, and #3 Deep Scratch Removal.

Immediately after use, the plastic looks like new(close anyway), but after oneor two rides, they come back. This stuff sort of fills in the scratches so you don't notice them. I only have used it when I am showing my quad to new friends that haven't seen it before.

I have talked to my riding club about my scratches and a few of them have taken a propane torch to their plastic. They VERY CAREFULLY passed the torch over the plastic until the slow melt fille in the scratch. I have not been brave enough to try this one. Maybe before I trade it someday, but thats along ways off.(IF EVER)
all i gotta say is u better have steady hands

Old 03-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Range Rover

In theory, the method sounds good, but like you said one unstady hand and oopsy daisy. Now you are shelling out the $$$ because of a little vanity obsession. Thats not for me either. All-in-all, I must agree Xtremeskier and Kawasakiman. We buy these quads to ride and work on. They are not '66 mustang convrtibles that we are going to parade aroung the fair grounds. I like to maintain my quad and keep it clean so it lasts.

To repeat a quote I read on the forums..."Ride it like the bosses daughter."

Old 03-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use a heat gun, you won't need such a steady hand. Go slow untill you get the hang of it. You can watch the small scratches disapear.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dazeys
Use a heat gun, you won't need such a steady hand. Go slow untill you get the hang of it. You can watch the small scratches disapear.
but still, its a quad..and off road vehical and its not like ur gonna get scratches..it'd just be a waste of time to fix all the scratches and then go scratch it up again..i wouldnt do it unless u were goin to sell it

Quick Reply: Polishing scratches Scrambler 500 2004