Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

man anytime theres a thread posted that has to do with two different manufacturer's theres just a bash war...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Hey guys, it seems to me that this thread is only pointing out the suspension differences between two quads. It seems that the Polaris with 1.5 inch more travel and plush suspension is built for more suspension articulation and probably the Rincon is stiffer for high speed handling. It seems that you do not get the best of both worlds. I see the same in Jeeps, if you want a long travel suspension for going over big obstacles, you are not going to have a vehicle that is good for sliding around corners. So you must pick the suspension that is appropriate for where you will drive. I am sure that you can modify the Polaris suspension for high speed handing, just like the Rincon, but clearly that does not seem to be what it was designed for. My opinion is, if you want a high performance quad good for sliding around corners, get a sport quad; you will be much more impressed than any UTE.
Bryce

Old 04-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Well put, BryceGTX, I think that is what it boils down to.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

Just for the record, I never said I wanted to modify the Polaris for high speed, nor do I want a sport quad. It's really not that black and white. I want a 4x4 ute that can support my large carrige. That means I'm a big guy, and this bike was not designed with that in mind, trust me.

I don't like "mushy" rides on anything, including my cars. I own an h-2, and it's not at all mushy. This does not make it a bad off road vehicle.

I do understand your analogy, however. Rest assured, though, if I wanted a sport quad, I would have one. Aside from the suspension and some rattles, I love everything about the 800. I have NO intention what-so-ever of selling it. I will mod the hell out of it, though.

Thanks for the input and I am currently deciding on which product best suits my needs.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Make sure to tell us what you end up getting, and how it works out for you. Some of us would be interested in how much of a positive difference it makes.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

LOL ImperiumDon. You and I are opposites, we got a Wrangler with everthing on it because an H2 will not even fit in the places we have taken our Wrangler. And I much prefer the soft suspension for off roading to get the articulation. I guess to each his own eh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Bryce

Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Ooh I'm with you on the h2/TJ thing, BryceGTX. But I don't think that is something that should be brought up in such a thread... lol.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

ImperiumDon,

You write well and seem to be an intelligent individual but you have to understand we here on the Polaris forum have been intruded upon many times by imposters and people just coming on there to bash us like the recent "why all the problems" thread and the other one deerboy posted in the utility forum.
You kinda took to defensive replies too quickly in the post prompting the flaming. You are one of us now with the 800 and we can use your valuable input. Spyder is a young guy, go easy on him.

I think you will be served well by getting the adjustable progressive shocks up front and some heavier springs from EPI. They are both fine quads and the Rincon is more a sporty mount and the Polaris a cruiser. Good luck.

Jim

Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

No worries, Jimmy. I'm certainly no basher. I understand the apprehension resulting from those that post for the purpose of bashing. I have problems, I want them fixed, which leads me to my next set of questions.......

We went up to the Adirondacks this weekend to do some trail riding, and man was it great. I didn't expect to see nearly as many mud holes as there were, and it was a blast, even if a bit dusty. I had a couple of problems with the 800, though, and I'm hoping you guys can help me get them sorted before next weekend. Also had a minor accident, so it was brought into my dealer for repairs today. More about that in a minute.

We were into some thick and deep stuff all weekend, and on Sunday, the 800 overheated 3 times. I might not have seen the "hot" flashing on the display in time the first time because coolant started spouting from the overfill cap in the front left wheel well. Anyway, we checked the level and it took 32 oz. of water once it cooled down. We had a bunch of 16oz bottles of water with us and it took exactly 2 to top it off. Well, needless to say, we wrote it off as being low on coolant.

To add to my anger and disappointment, it overheated again about 15 minutes later, but this time, no overflowing. I caught it right as the warning began to flash. My question; is there anything I can do to decrease the amount of mud that builds up in the radiator or maybe relocate or add another higher on the machine?

Now for the sad part.... I went into a large mud hole, primarily filled with water, only to slam into a rock under the water level. I smashed it pretty good. The front bash plate is bent bad and the piece connecting it to the chassis was also really twisted. This caused the metal bracket that the radiator rests in to get twisted also, leaving the radiator with little/no support. The rubber bushings are gone as well. It also caused the front bumper to tweak, too. Man I felt like tearing trees down with my bare hands.

Anyway, the dealer has it now and I didn't even ask how much it would cost. I don't really want to know. I also ordered full aluminum protection underneath as well as hd springs. They are also looking into the overheating issue. I had a 700 and never had any trouble like this before. Does anyone know what a "shaker" is, and whether or not it will work? I wouldn't be opposed to relocating an aftermarket radiator in place of the winch. Any thoughts??

I know this post is kind of all over the place, but it's due to withdrawal and feeling a little stupid for wrecking in front of 8 people. Sucks.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Some of the simpler things would be to just remove and clean the screen over the radiator as needed and check the radiator fins for clogging.
After adding water to the coolant system it was probably diluted too much as it should be a 60/40 mixture. Possibly allowing premature overheating.
Another thing would be to use low range when needed at lower speeds and not let sit idling too long. Very slow continued speeds can contribute to overheating.

I have never had an overheating issue with my '02 700 and I thought they increased the cooling volume since then.

Sorry to here about your misfortunes and accident.

good luck,

Jim

Quick Reply: 800 Ride Quality