Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Popping Noise CV Joint/Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Popping Noise CV Joint/Boot?

I have a front popping noise when I turn a certain way, and after taking it back to the house, I found my CV Boot was torn (my fault there, ran over a big tree limb right before the popping started) and noticed grease all aound it...The popping noise scares me because I am concerned if I need to replace the CV joint or hopefully just the CV boot. What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance!!

Greg

Old 04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Was there still grease inside the housing when you found out that the boot had been torn? If you hear a popping sound then the CV joint probably needs to be replaced, but answer that question and I might be able to help you.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually it was all over the boot, joint, etc...The popping only occured when I turned the wheel a certain way...What do you think??

Greg

Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

You might get lucky and just be able to clean the cv joint completely then repack with grease (cv joint grease) then new boot. But on a car when it pops its too late. Usually pops on turns and on accel.

Steve Lubecki

Old 04-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with lslubecki in that you might be okay. When I had a torn boot I did have some popping when turning, but I put new grease in it and then replaced the boot and it was fine.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well that is a relief...Now all I need to do is to goto a dealer and get a CV boot. If I am correct, it should include the boot, 2 clamps and grease. Do you guys have any other suggestions on where or what boots to get?? Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate it!!

Greg

Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Bur....and others...

I think I have the same problem as you. I noticed that I had a problem when I had problems steering. When I was coming to a stop my wheels would turn in the direction of the torn boot. Also, when the machine was stopped SOMETIMES I could not turn the wheels fully to one side and when driving on pavement the wheels would SOMETIMES shimmy back and forth. Obviously there is a problem. Did you have any similar problems like these? I hope my diagnosis is not worse than yours.....If the CV joint is shot does anyone have any ideas as to how much they cost?

Thanks to all for the help.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

12pointbuck: I do not have the same problem as you do, it sounds like one wheel get stuck in 4wd mode...When this happens I just put it in reverse and then back into drive. It works for me...But I could be wrong on your case...From my understanding, a cv joint cost approximately $150...

Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I just replace my scrammy cv joint boots this weekend. I bought the gorrila pvc boot kit. It comes with everything you need. Getting the clamps tight is a pain in the a$$. I cleaned my cv joints out with brake cleaner and a bunch of rags. I would clean it up and regrease it and see if it still makes the noise. It's probably just dry from the ripped boot and water that got in there.

Mark Ayares
'02 Scrambler 500 4x4
Uni Filter
Bear Claws

Ride like you mean it!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Can someone tell me some detailed instructions, picture will help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] on how to remove and replace the CV boot?? Thanks in advance!!

Greg