Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brought the trailer home Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought the trailer home Tuesday

I put up some new pics of the trailer and quads. The trailer is exactly what I wanted except for the ramp-tailgate. The wind was blowing about 25 to 30 mph straight out of the East. I had to drive about 80 miles east then about 25 miles South to get home. I drove the IN-OH turnpike east to get home. The trailer dealer was about 1/4 mile off of the turnpike. It trailered very well except going into that headwind and driving 65 mph was to much. That ramp grabs alot of air. Wednesday after work my son and I took off the ramp-tailgate so I could see how much of a difference it would make. The wind was the same as it was the day before. It was like night and day difference.I have decided to midify the ramp-tailgate by cutting it to half of it's height and taking off the expanded metal. I have atv ramps so I don't need to use the tailgate as a ramp. I have the expanded metal just about all off and I'm headed back out to the shop to get back at it.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

That is a problem with that type of ramp/gate, lots of wind resistance you don't want especially with the current gas prices. I just put in an order for a Triton ATV88 trailer, it loads/unloads from the sides or rear and the ramp locks under the rear of the trailer. Should pick it up next week...

Old 04-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

The landscapers trailers that we have around here have metal grating on ramp so air passes through.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

If you look at the pic you can see it has the expanded metal (metal grating) and it is still too much wind resistance. After I modify it it will be what I want.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

BeltDrive,
Same thing happened to me. I have owned two trailers (10' and a 12'), and both had the rear gate with the expanded metal. I had a local dealer build me a 16' car hauler. I can load from the rear with the supplied ramps, or from the side, by hooking the ramps on a metal lip that I had welded on when they built it. I also had dual axles put on this one, and brakes on each axle.
There is a world of difference with the dual axles. This one handles so much better than the single axle trailers. And, the brakes on each axle give you a lot better stopping power. If you don't have brakes on yours, I would suggest you get them.
It will sure save your truck brakes.

I also pit some cheap redwood stain on the treated 2x8's on the floor of the trailer. Then I put on a coat of inexpensive polyurethane....man it dolled it up!

Ride safe!

XMARINE