Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Driving the "99" SP500 with a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 02:54 AM
hc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving with a dead battery appears to be not a good idea.About two Saturdays mornings ago I got up early to go to my hunting club to help plant fields..ect. When i tried to crank my SP, it was like there was no battery in it.I thought well i could pull rope start it (i was wanting to go real bad)never have tryed to start it with the recoil. But it started on the first pull. I was thinking that the stator would supply the current and voltage needs of the SP with a dead battery. Wrong. Lights where dim, the speedometer would not work right or not work at all. So while i was at the hunting club was wondering if the AWD would work or the cooling fan and over temp light would work. For the time i thought the fan should come on it didn't run at all. So i loaded it up and came home.
I do the maintenance on it like clock work.It is never put up muddy, it is keep greased, all oils are checked and/or changed. But the one thing i haved failed to check was the battery . It got dry on me and would not take a overnight and most of the next day charge(2 amp auto charge, it cuts off when the battery no longer needs a charge).
With a new battery everything is back to normal.
Has anyone else had this to happen to them?

Old 10-03-2000, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Harold

The battery on my Magnum went bad last winter. I had the plow all hooked up ready to plow snow, and the damn battery was dead. No lights, no winch. I removed the battery and found three of the six cells were almost dry. I filled them up with some acid leftover from a previous motorcycle battery purchase and charged it overnight and it has worked fine ever since. I know check the fluid levels on a regular basis.

Old 10-03-2000, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Don't they put a maintainence free battery in Polaris quads? I've only owned two quads and they were both Yamahas, but they both came with a sealed maintainence free battery. Haven't had to replace any of them yet. I guess I just assumed that all quads came that way. I case of flips and rolls you won't spill all the acid out of the battery.

Old 10-03-2000, 01:30 PM
hc
Range Rover

01Grizzly, The battery in my Polaris has a row of caps(Plugs) that allow you to check the water lever. My son has a 350 Yamaha "96" model it's been flip,rolled and just about any thing else. He has never had to recharge the battery and he has never checked it and it still is just like it was when it was new. In my Polaris manual it says to keep a check on the battery, but I didn't.

Old 10-03-2000, 01:56 PM
ox
Pro Rider

I put one of them maintenance free bats in my sled a year ago. Dennis Kirk has them. 10 - 20 $ more than the other, but my sled seems to end up like that 96 Yammi sometimes. Just a touch ( big shove ) off camber. LOL!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Old 10-03-2000, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

I just put in a dry-cell battery so I never have to worry about the fluids,It is a stronger battery so it will hold up to the winch better. I think the stock battery's in the polaris's are junk if you have any acc.

Old 10-04-2000, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Beware of driving with a weak battery!

On a Polaris, the low-voltage condtion will blow all the light bulbs! ... and the headlight bulbs are around $15 each