Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

25" vs 26" Mudrunners on Polaris Models.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the 25" GoodYear MudRunners on my '99 since August of '98. Put them on a new atv with about 20 miles on the stock GoodYear Tracker P's. I wanted better traction than the stock rubber offered. I had them all mounted on 12" Douglas .190's with J/L racing rings. The combo has proved to be excellent in both traction and ride. I did not notice any difference in ride quality, but the steering effort was less than with the stock rubber. I did not expect that at the time. I expected a farm tractor ride when I looked at them. In fact, I thought that I would run them in the winter only, originally. The machine handles and performs very well and the tires have never been off since. I use it for hunting, chores, and lots of snow plowing. They are excellent in the snow. I've ridden atv's with Swampers, Blackwaters, Bearclaws and would definitely buy another set of MudRunners.

I tried the heavier front springs and took them off. The ride and handling is adversely affected. I'm using the front spring rubbers year-round now, not just during snow plowing season.

I personally don't think that going to 26" heavier rubber, to gain 1/2" of ground clearance is worth all the trouble and strain on the drive train, etc.

Your performance, ride and handling are definitely worse with the larger, heavier rubber. These beasts are heavy enough and need all the handling and performance ability they can get. To install something that would upset that balance just to go BIG doesn't make sense for a 1/2" gain in ground clearance.

If I was running the swamps "every-day" I might think differently, but for my money, the MR's are the choice.

www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 10-06-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

The stock tires on the Xplorer and Magnum models are made by Dunlop. The fronts are the KT121 and the Rear is the KT125M

The stock tires on the Sportsman are the GoodYear Tracker P

They are similar but the Goodyear has higher puncture resistance, taller lugs and a tread design more conducive to self cleaning. I have also found that the GoodYears will last twice as long as the Dunlops in actual experience.

The ride of the Dunlop is softer, but like I said they are more puncture prone and provide less traction in muddy gumbo situations. They provide a little bit more traction than the GoodYear in snowy conditions and the quad will fishtail less in 12" snow conditions on the Dunlops. But that is their only advantage.

Old 10-06-2000, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Good post Jack, I believe that you gave me the information that I was looking for.

I agree with you on the 1/2 inch of ground clearance not being worth the stiffer ride and the suspension changes required for the 26" tires.

Why make the Polaris ride like a Honda by adding stiffer springs?

Looks like only the Honda 450's/Rubicons and Artic Cats get to take advantage of the 26" Mud Runner without alterations.

Old 10-13-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

If you are still looking for tires..
Garceaus hardware in Vadnais Heights has 4 25" Maxim Surtraks for sale by a private party. They are on aluminum wheels (I think they are aluminum) and he wants $475 or best offer. They look like pretty good tires. Anyone have experience with them??

Old 10-13-2000, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

I have read through all of the reply's in this column. I have 26" Mud Runners on my last 2 SP500's and on our 2 new 500 HO's and we love them! As far as fender rub, it's not a problem. The reason you buy 26" tires is for 2 purposes: increased ground clearance and traction. The 26" Mud Runners give you BOTH! If you're an aggressive trail rider then these tires are not for you! They are a purpose built tire. One look at the tread pattern tells the whole story. So quit your whining about rough ride and fender rub and DIVE IN THE MUD HOLE! THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR!!!!

Old 10-15-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Fender rub not a problem eh? I guess you drive really slow.

Old 10-16-2000, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

If your 26" inch Mud Runners are not rubbing you must be driving at a very sedate pace or weigh on the lighter side of 160#s. Or is the rubbing not an issue?

Since everybody at the ATV Connection, faces the east and praises the Goodyear Mud Runners (and Honda) relentlessly, Odin bought a set. Never once have I read anywhere that the stiff sidewalls on the Mud Runners would reduce ride comfort, or that their heavier weight would rob acceleration.

Xplor was the first person who agreed with our observations, and I can relate to his findings.

Others have also observed the same phenomenon

I thought we were discussing tires rather than whining.

I can usually see both sides of an equation, but..
then again... maybe your dog is better than my dog.

Old 10-16-2000, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

My point was misinterperated as being sarcastic. It was not meant to be. I was only agreeing with Xplor's comment, which was, "if I was going to a mud run I would install the 26" mud runners". Yes - I do experience some fender rub when hitting hard bumps. I don't always drive slow! This was just my opinion on the use of 26" Mud Runners on a stock machine based on my experience.
After reading all the responses it seemed to me the Good Years were being trashed because they were being compared to all purpose tires. And they are too good of a "traction" tire to be compared with an "all purpose" tire. Sorry if I offended anyone! It's just one persons opinion.

Old 10-16-2000, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puller,
I read your post and think you pretty much told it like it is.I also have 26 Mudrunners all the way around.I CANT drive like a moran on tight/whooped trails,with or without the 26'' Mudrunners.Our[Sportsman or Xplorer] 4x4 quads just are'nt made for that purpose. Most stock 4x4 suspension's are not made for jolting whoops ect.

I bought my Mudrunners for the sole purpose of a TRACTION and GROUND clearance advantage over the other guys,they do what I put them on for.I would PERSONALLY rather go a little slower thru the bad trails and whoops with my 26 Mudrunners,than go 2 -3 miles faster on the same, with my 25 Mudrunners.

I feel the same as you.Why have the Mudrunners if you cant use them to their fullest advantage,including traction and maximum allowable ground clearance?=====Bill

Old 10-16-2000, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Eighteen months ago I replaced the Dunlop KT962A 24x8x11 fronts and 24x10x11 rears on my Bayou 300 4x4 with 25x8x11 and 25x10x11 Mudrunners. I also replaced the Goodyear Tracker MP 24x8x11 fronts and 24x10x11 rears on my Bayou 400 4x4 with 25x8x11 and 25x10x11 Mudrunners.

In the Spring of '99 at the big Cochranton poker run, my daughter rode the 300 and I rode the 400. The 35 muddy miles of Cochranton's Trail B presented no problems for either quad.

A few weeks later in May '99 I rode the 400 at the even muddier Salamanca Dice Run. Again I experienced nothing but excellent performance, including pulling my buddy's SP500 out of a deep mudhole.

In July '99 I rode the 300 at the first Quads-On-The-Rocks ride at Tasker's Gap (see the Tasker's Gap article of 8-15-99 for details and pictures). The Mudrunners handled the rocks every bit as well as they handled the mud.

In July '00 I returned to Tasker's Gap with my daughter to ride in the second Quads-On-The-Rocks ride, and the the Little Fort Trail ride the following day. My daughter rode the 300 and I rode the 400. Once again we experienced nothing but excellent performance from the Mudrunners, including a very tough pass up the formidible Tasker's Run (more huge rocks than you can imagine).

The 25-inch Mudrunners give an excellent ride under all conditions, except at speeds less than 5 MPH where they tend to rumble a bit. They dramatically improved traction compared to the Dunlop KT962As and Goodyear Tracker MPs they replaced. And even my Bayou 300 has sufficient power to turn them without straining.

I selected the 25-inch size to gain traction and ground clearance without encountering fender clearance problems. The Mudrunners are a first-rate tire for all conditions, and I can give them my unequivocal recommendation.

Army Man

Quick Reply: 25" vs 26" Mudrunners on Polaris Models.