Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

25" vs 26" Mudrunners on Polaris Models.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to the closeness in cost between the 25 and the 26" Mudrunner, it seems that most people opt for the larger sized tire.

Has anybody out there resisted the urge and bought the 25" Mudrunners to elminate the fender rubbing?

I know that the 26" tires have a firm sidewall and require lift kits etc. I am trying to stay away from a stiff ride while still improving traction over the stock Dunlop 185's.

Does anybody have Polaris experience with the 25" Mudrunner?

Old 10-03-2000, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Thor

I only have experience with 26" Mudrunners vs. 25" Bearclaws. It may not be the same exact comparison you were looking for, but somewhat close.

I bought the 26" mudrunners and rode on them for about 4 months. The ride really suffered. Keep in mind that this is my experience and on my quad. Others have different experiences. They rubbed and rubbed and rubbed. I shaved the fenders, added spacers and stiffer springs thereafter.

My wife got sick of the "jolty" ride and gave me no choice but to change them. Over 35mph the ride sucked horribly. At 40 mph and up it was dangerous.

I have now had time to thoroughly test the 25" Bearclaws and I am 100% happy with there performance.

No rubbing...ever!
Better performance and smoothness on hard packed.
No "jolting" around like the 26" tires.
Mudding is just as good.

Thats about it. Now I just goota get rid of the stiff springs and I am back in buisness!

Old 10-03-2000, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Xplor on some things. The Mudrunners are stiffer and "jolt" you around more on rough terrain. However, on a gravel road, 40+ is no problem.

Old 10-03-2000, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I rode with a couple guys with 25 inch Vamps on there SP's , really looked good and rode suprising well, the opted for the 25 inch , for a couple reasons , they did not need extra ground clearance, 2 does not require any lift kits that add huge stress to the drive train and also less weight to also take away from any undue stress. It did actually give it more ground clearance over my stock 25 inch goodyears, due to them being stiffer and they were a little taller.

Old 10-03-2000, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

i was thinking about getting the muddrunners but now i have second thoughts. a while back everyone that had them said they were great, they steared easier, rode the same and had much better traction. now i am hearing that they ride rough. i thought that the riding pads on them gave a somoother ride. are they noticably rougher ride? does it depend on the pressure u run in them? i dont want to get these tires and them have a very rough ride and regret it? i currently have the stock p-tires on my machine.
so tell me about them all

later
jon

Old 10-03-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

ledebuhr1

I was so anxious to get bigger tires. Waited 2 years in fact. When I got them I realized that they were not for me. I have always been someone who wanted the "biggest and baddest". As for the tires, I will stick to stock size but with much better traction.

The Mudrunners were great and all, but I seem to ride agressively and they just grab on to everything a bit to much. Turning was a lot easier at slow speeds. Once I started going fast and the road got a bit bumpy the quad started darting back and forth. Maybe it was the width of the front tires also...

All I know is that my 25" Bearclaws are perfect for my kind of riding. With tires being so damn expensive it is almost impossible to try some and then change every month. My quad accelerates like it used to and feels much, much lighter. But like I said before, this is based on my experience and I do not want to offend any Mudrunner enthusiastes. If someone were to ask me to go on a "mud-run" I would most likely get the 26" Mudrunners installed on aluminum wheels and use them for that particular ride.

I feel that the ground clearance and tread depth I gave up was matched by much better wheelspin in mud and better over all riding.

"Gain something here...lose it there."

Old 10-04-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing but high regards for the Mudrunners. I've had 26s on my 99 Sportsman and now my 00 Xplorer.

I do get some rubbing in the front on HARD whoops.I have never experienced any of the harsh riding that Xplor gets on speeds over 40mph.The steering is excellant at any speed.The traction is as good as it gets in the real serious mud/snow.Excellant ride on hardpack to.====Bill

Old 10-04-2000, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

If I am reading the thread right, Xplor also had the heavy duty springs on the front end. Which would be the 101# vs 63-113" (If I am not confusing the rear spring weights).

Do you have the heavy duty springs Bill? I am trying to stay away from after-market springs and spacers and just installing tires that are soft and possess a great deal of traction on the front end of my machine.

Yesterday I read that Titan 589's will not steer themselves out of ruts and are bone jarring below 10 mph so I will not be considering them for my machine.

Are the 25" Mudrunners a soft ride or do I need to go to the Bear Claws?

Old 10-04-2000, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thor,
No heavy duty springs on my Xplorer.I do have the rubber spring spacers though.I do not usually hit the trail real hard when riding.It sounds as though Xplor rides the trails pretty hard,that could be our differance in opionions on the Mudrunners.===Bill

Old 10-04-2000, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

My wife must ride pretty hard too, because she wanted the change more than I. I am taking the stiffer springs off because I can feel the bounciness increase. When I hit whoops at a faster pace they do not absorb as good as the stock ones. Bounce...Bounce...Bounce... I will let you know the difference. Maybe my shocks are old...you never know??? It is still a mystery to me why over 35mph the ride suffered so much...

If 25" mudrunners ride like the 26" ones, I would have to say my Bearclaws are a bit smoother. The mudrunners are stiffer and thicker. Probably better in mud, but it all dependes on the way you ride. I chose the Bearclaws because of a few articles I read and some good references. Plus they were not too expensive.

The dealers should offer test rides of all differnt tire set-ups...I am really thinking of opening a dealership!

Quick Reply: 25" vs 26" Mudrunners on Polaris Models.