Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starting NEW dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silverado

I just thought I would comment again with this story:

The guy I bought my first atv from was a car salesman that just had enough with that game. He bought out a local Polaris franchise and opened a new dealership. He has since added Honda and ski doo. So far the dealership has done well for him. He is doing what he enjoys and making some money. The only bad thing is that as his business is growing, his customer service is declining. I hope he recognizes this before its too late. By the way, he is only about 32 years old.

Old 10-05-2000, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

If you can get up every morning and go to work doing somthing you love, you have truly found the "American Dream"

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys for all the support and i will keep all you guys posted as this develops.

Old 10-06-2000, 12:49 AM
Range Rover

Silverado,
Do not over look your federal,state, and local gov for startup capitol, they often have money that goes unused because know one knows about it.
See Ya, Drew

Old 10-06-2000, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Silerado: Send me your e-mail address if you can.

Old 10-07-2000, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Silverado,
are you ready for dreamless nights,are you ready for troubles you have no idea about now, are you ready for demanding,often very unpleasant customers, for possible financial struggle, for unreliable, stealing employees, are you ready for 80 hrs. a week etc,...go for it.If you like to close doors at work at 5.p.m. and be free,forged it.

Old 10-07-2000, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

i would enjoy this very much.thanks for your input.

Old 02-11-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Silverado, what ever happened? Did you start one up? If so can you email me at texmudder@ansley.net.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I say go for it. One reason I like my dealer, and one reason I think they are so successful, is that the salespeople and mechanic actually are ATV buffs. They get out and ride all the used machines they get in, so they can tell you from experience how each machine runs, and the differences between them. About the only time you can stump them is a performance question with a new model as they don't ride/use the new ones themselves. Just have to rely on what they were told. FAR better than somebody who barely knows how to drive one. Also, enthusiasm for what you are selling will pay off for more sales.
Good luck.
PS how about a 10% discount for everyone who gives you advice? I figure 9 more replies & I would qualify for something free!!! lol

Old 02-12-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

There are industry sources that can provide you with the proper inside information and demographic info that the bank will need before they will provide $$$,$$$ for such a venture. A good business plan is No. 1 on their list. I've seen some of the industry profiles for given geographical areas that tell you how many Honda dirt bikes, street bikes, Kawasaki atv's, Polaris watercraft, etc., etc., were sold in a given geographical area. They also have demographic information on potential buyers for given age groups and income levels. These reports are eye-opening. What sometimes looks like a great region is really poor since the population does not have enough disposable income to spend on atv's and dirt bikes, or there is not enough people in that age group living close by to support such a business. Most of the successful ones offer good service and also sell many different makes, as well as sleds, pwc's dirt bikes, atv's, farm equipment, garden tractors, chain saws, etc. Those that have tried to just sell one product, rarely make it. Good Luck.