Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Update... From Polaris!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Update... From Polaris!

Here is what happened....
A friend of mine purchased an 800 EFI so I had to follow suit.... My father and his girlfriend also decided to buy 800's.... All were purchased within a month of each other. I use mine for mowing a couple of acres at about 7 mph. The side panel over the exhaust melted.... Polaris ordered me a new one with foil tape on the back side and gave me a fiberglass 3m heat reflective tape to put on anything near the exhaust. Didn't work! I noticed the rear fender assembly also melting just the other day. I went a step further and checked my fathers 800 and found both panels are starting to melt the same as mine! I checked his girlfriends and have not noticed the problem yet! YET! I have not checked my buddies out yet? I called Polaris, and as of 2 days ago the released the fact that they are aware of this problem, and are sending out new rear fender assemblies for my 800 and my dads with some kind of update to it....

The rep had no idea if the panels themselves have changed..... but it is driving me crazy!

I have personally seen 2 800's melt, and have heard of 1 other one....

Anyone else have this problem?
Jon JKR308@HICKORYTECH.NET

Old 05-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

sign me up got new ones sitting at home in my shop.. First set of rear fenders melted pretty good..

Seanny Drive it like it is stolen!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Few others including mine melting here:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/452308.cfm

Old 05-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

Tex quick question for you. Sorry does not pertain to this blog, but what lift do you have on your 800 ( by the way that is one sick ATV you have!!!!!!!!)? I have a 700 and want to get bigger tires as well. As for the engine, clutch, and drivetrain, what mods did you have to do to allow the machine the peak power/performance with the monster tires? Thanks for your time and look forward to your reply!!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I run a High Lifter lift up front but thats only to level out the front end. I will be using their Lift Springs in the rear since it sags way too much. As far as power mods....none are needed at all with this thing. It can pull these tires in anything all day long.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,hows it going ? I just got back from my local dealer. My 800 is finally in.I can't get it till next weekend either Friday or Saturday. It's gonna kill me,But I've waited years to finally get a new bike.So a few days won't be that bad. I have however been following along the threads about the exhaust problems and melting fenders,and that was one of the main reasons for my trip today,I was curious if my bike being so newly built it they did something to help fix the problem.And one of the first things I noticed looking at my bike was the bigger heat shield,and the insulated tape and backing right on the back of the fenders,not onlt eh black part,but the red piece as well. So hopefully this helps.I will keep an eye on it once I get it. I don't know if this is much help to you guys,or if you've heard of the fix already.But just wanted to let you know what I seen. I am just anxious to get it and see how hot it looks with my red accessories on it. Something different than the black and chrome like everyone has done so far. I think it will be a nice touch to accent the red suspension components. I'll try to get some pics up of it when I get it home and while its nice and new and shinny..... Take care guys and thanks for the info and up to date talk on here.This is a great forum.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Your new one is just like mine. Thick heat shields, tape on fenders, tape on panel. Their "fix" is more tape to layer up on the fenders and panel. This "fix" hasnt worked with other manufacturers witht his problem and I dont see it working with the 800.