Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need advice, my 99scram motor is junk

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, my 99scram motor is junk

I started tearing down my motor due to the broken flange on the cylinder. As I removed the cylinder all hell broke loose. I found that the top of my crankcase is all busted up also. Not good. I'm now debating on parting it out or looking for a replacement motor. I just stuck a load of money into this thing putting in a clutch kit, new secondary clutch, starter, mud guards (not on yet). I also found out at the time I tore it down it has a Hotseat head on it, So I'm assuming this thing has been apart before. I only paid $3000 for it 2yrs ago as is, other than the clutch kit. When is enough, enough? The machine itself is in damn good condition. What would a replacement motor run me? would you do the swap knowing it will be damn near the same price you paid for it? Would I be wise to part it out or sell as a complete non running machine? The head, piston, cylinder sleeve are all in perfect condition. It also has a hotseat clutch kit and a FMF turine core pipe. Tires are great. No busted plastic, And I also had the front end gone thru due to the hub locking up. It was my wifes machine and she loved it. I've heard that the busted flange on the cylinder is quite common, and I don't want to be making this a habit. The old lady is pretty bummed out about it so I need to get my ducks in a row to try to figure out my next move.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Man I feel your pain. The exact thing happened to me. You can get a new set of cases from Rick Ritter at Rittercylce Racing (618-644-3211) for around 300.00. That comes with all new bearing and seals. He can also repair (weld) that cylinder for you too. It cost me around 200 to have it welded.Rick is a top notch Polaris mechanic that is very knowledgeable, friendly, and patient and usually answers the phone himself. If you are lucky you can find a good deal on a cylinder/piston kit on ebay for around 200 bucks. The hotseat head is a good one. That's what I run. If I were you I would get a girdle kit. That will keep the cylinder from breaking again. The total rebuild cost me around 1000 bucks. It's cheaper in the long run to rebuild than to buy new unless that's what you want to do. And if the bikes is in as good of condition as you say then you'll have a like new bike. It all depends on what you want to do. I would highly recommend getting the girdle kit. It will be a peace of mind knowing that your cylinder won't break again. If you need any more help let me know. Shawn.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very good friend in Dallas,TX that can fix you up. I like Rick Ritter as well, but my buddy can cut you some money and give a quick turn around for you. His name is Todd and you can reach him at 1-972-896-1002. Tell him Bubba told you to call.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice Shawn. I'll give Rick Ritter a call and see what we can do. My cylinder flange is completely broke off all the way to the sleeve. Does it still sound repairable? I also looked for a Aaen girdle kit on there web site and I couldn't find any info directly related to the girdle kit. Could you please point me in the right direction as to where I can find info, pictures & prices. I'm trying to get everything priced out to see where I'm at. Thanks

Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Rick also has the Aaen girdle.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Welding and gusseting the cylinder costs $200 . I have repaired a plenty of them and have yet to have one break that I know of . This is not a guarantee but these are the results to this point .

Aaen Girdle I keep in stock , I sell them for $150 machine work included .

I also stock the cases (bearings and seals included) , I sell them for $320 WITH HPD CASE SAVER INSTALLED .

Rick