Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My next car: 2006 Pontiac Solstice

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My next car: 2006 Pontiac Solstice

Saturn has one coming out in early 2006 Saturn Sky Same thing but a little different in looks. this one looks pretty cool also

Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Sharp, is ecotech an inhouse engine?

Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
I have just found what will be my next new car. LOL, I have been waiting for a long time for this one. A really great two seater!! I thought long and hard about the Corvette. But not sure I wanted to split with that kind of money. At under $20,000 the Solstice doesn't get much better. The first 1000 Pontiac Solstice's went in 10 minutes after they were released to the public for sale.
Solstice
BryceGTX
Sorry to say it Bryce but I for one feel the Solstice is a big pile of junk. I work for the GM Proving Grounds in Milford where we design and test the GM cars/trucks and for the two years I have been here the solstice has been junk all the way through. we are still having problems with the convertible tops to this day and they are the same cars that are in production and the fit and finish is definitely not grade A. to be honest with you we actually fired the Lead Solstice Directer/Engineer because GM felt that he was slacking off because the car has actually been behind on all it's deadlines and they were not happy with the progress, fit and finish and top problems. we get solstices straight from the assembly plant and drive them into the Garage here and it doesn't take long for everyone to start pointing out problems and issues with them. I honestly think some of our prototype models that we are sticking supercharged engines into with prototype fiberglass bodies are nicer and fit better than the ones being released from production. with that said I hope you make a wise decision, I am sorry if this gives you any doubts about the car i'm just stating the facts I have come across.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

If that motor has any ties to the quad 4, I'd be leary. I had a 93 grand am with the HO version. Oil pump went out, 2500 for rebuilt!

Old 06-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Originally posted by: Catterman
That is a cute little car. I love small two-seater convertables. I have a red 1991 Mercury Capri XR-2 turbo and that thing rocks! If I am lucky I get 30mpg.
That was a neat car!! I also owned a Fiero GT that I loved. I ran it to 200,000 miles then went looking for another two seater... LOL, it took Pontiac 18 years to come up with a replacement. Hey better late than never [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
It has taken Pontiac a long time, they finally had the Fiero running great when they pulled it off the market, what a shame.
LOL, I know what you mean.. They completely redesigned the suspension in 88, then turned around and killed it!! That was a bummer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScramaDamaDingDong
Saturn has one coming out in early 2006 Saturn Sky Same thing but a little different in looks. this one looks pretty cool also
I saw that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Wasn't the Sky was coming out later though? I know you can order the Soltice right now.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

get a mustang, after all miata's are the g@y car status symbol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

and saturns are junk, they might have good value, but all it is a big chunk of worthlessness

Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Breezer
If that motor has any ties to the quad 4, I'd be leary. I had a 93 grand am with the HO version. Oil pump went out, 2500 for rebuilt!
LOL, Breezer.. I know what you mean. However, the quad four was most famous for its head gasket that usually went out at about 80,000 miles. I replaced two in my Grand Am. LOL,first time it took me about 12 hours to replace it; the second time I was able to replace it it in about 6hrs.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
I have just found what will be my next new car. LOL, I have been waiting for a long time for this one. A really great two seater!! I thought long and hard about the Corvette. But not sure I wanted to split with that kind of money. At under $20,000 the Solstice doesn't get much better. The first 1000 Pontiac Solstice's went in 10 minutes after they were released to the public for sale.
Solstice
BryceGTX
Sorry to say it Bryce but I for one feel the Solstice is a big pile of junk. I work for the GM Proving Grounds in Milford where we design and test the GM cars/trucks and for the two years I have been here the solstice has been junk all the way through. we are still having problems with the convertible tops to this day and they are the same cars that are in production and the fit and finish is definitely not grade A. to be honest with you we actually fired the Lead Solstice Directer/Engineer because GM felt that he was slacking off because the car has actually been behind on all it's deadlines and they were not happy with the progress, fit and finish and top problems. we get solstices straight from the assembly plant and drive them into the Garage here and it doesn't take long for everyone to start pointing out problems and issues with them. I honestly think some of our prototype models that we are sticking supercharged engines into with prototype fiberglass bodies are nicer and fit better than the ones being released from production. with that said I hope you make a wise decision, I am sorry if this gives you any doubts about the car i'm just stating the facts I have come across.
I have confidence that they will have the bugs worked out before I buy it. This is a brand new design of chassis that GM has never produced.. so its bound to have growing pains. LOL, I remember the same flury of problems with the Fiero when it first came out. I bought the second year.. after they worked out the bugs. I too have read that they have supercharged versions. But then again, they had turbo-charged versions of the Fiero V6 running around that were never released. So I guess time will tell.

BTW, Motor Trend magazine agreed with you and said of their test ride:
"Their body panels were just rough approximations... lashed up to cover the guts... eventually, the Solstice will have... properly fitted panels.. attached to the structure, with normal sound-deadening materials... the test mules were clattery, with bodywork flexing, rubbing, and making a racket."

Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spyder6
get a mustang, after all miata's are the g@y car status symbol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

and saturns are junk, they might have good value, but all it is a big chunk of worthlessness
LOL.. The new Mustang is sharp.. Just not my type of car. I had a mustang quite a few years ago.. It was a screamer!!

Quick Reply: My next car: 2006 Pontiac Solstice