Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

My buddy has a 800 and his plastic is melting. Its on the right side when sitting on the bike, were it says AWD. You know this is the only problem I've heard of with the 800s, seems to be a damn good first year bike. If there are this many 800s out there with this problem then I think somebody needs to wake Polaris up, and CPSC can sure as hell do it. Anyway guys good luck, just wanted to show you that your not the only one that has seen a 800 with melting plastic.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry Trail blazer and tex mud..I only meant that goverment intervention usually doesent help and you know thats 99% true in most cases.sorry if I offended anyone...Ive not seen any melting on my 800 as of yet but one of mine was built in march 05 the other in may 05
it has a lot of heat tape(aluminum} on inside of panels and such....once again my humble aplogiges....

Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Well given the recent goverment interaction with the throttle problem on Polaris models, they will be VERY responsive to complaints right now. I do think it will help.

As far as the heat tape goes I have double layer tape (the Polaris solution) all over the place. While this will help at those temps heat tape will do nothing.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the new m3 heat sheild tape works the best, i put it on mine right after i heard of the problem and its great. i have had no melting plastics (nock on wood). it costs more, but its sure a good product.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Tex you said you ceramic coated your pipes,that is what I would have done also but ceramic coating is supposed to shoot the heat right out the back of the pipe and once shut down cool to the touch inn 30 seconds give or take it"s a practice ive done on a lot of custom bikes but the pipes are bigger circumfrence and not as drastic a bend as on our 800"s so you not seeing alot of improvement doesent surprise me...I ve only noticed today on furthur inspection a very minute place on both 800"s and its right on a point where the plastic rest on the heat sheild and if you didnt know better you wouldnt call it melting...Tex once again I didnt mean my post to rag anyone or riddicule im sorry if it was taken that way but one thing for sure ill read my post over before I submit anything again lol.Problem is to be commended for going the extra mile to find a remedy to this and yes Problem I do ride and enjoy and ill probally have the same problem unless it was corrected after the build date of 3/05/05....I use the forums as a great tool,to find fixes to problems and share anything I can that will help out someone as im a mechanic by trade and do my own maintanance as well as service work...this is a great forum with a lot of great ATV"ers out there posting...Once again I apologige for my previous post but I didnt mean to offend anyone and so sorry it was construed to do so.....happy rididng..by the way, where riding the Hatfield Mcoy trail week of the 4th..im only 45minutes from Matewan..anybody need info go to this great site where these folks can help ya...www.trailsheaven.com the Matewan house a bed and breakfast is just 200 feet from the trail head and offers atv lock up,rentals, and a place to wash your ride also and it"s relatively cheap at $69.00 a night for 2 people.....IF any you guys come this way email me and let me know we"ll try to get a group together..contact me at
welder41@hotmail.com

Old 06-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah this is my third quad to receive the ceramic coating. It has worked on my other two quads and it is cutting some heat on the 800, just not enough. I still dont think all the heat is coming from the header. That place you noticed wil grow over time. It starts small then can lead to that entire panel melting.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer

I've had this pipe ceramic coated & I have installed it on a 03/700. I think ur not getting the job u paid for, send it to someone else to recoat it. On my 03, it doesn't even get very hot, can touch 30 sec after shutting atv off, after full warm up.

All with this pipe & the 800's, just wait till all these pipes start breaking at the 2 into 1, it will happen.

Running 29.5's won't help the engine heat either.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Hey problem, what exactly is your problem. MT is entitled to an opinion just like every one else, so why are you acting like child and threatening to report him like we're all in grade school.
You have a quad issue and that's fine but if you don't like peoples comments don't put on the forum and keep the crying for your dealer or better yet go buy a honda and ride the high ground. This you can report to the moderator.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Opps sorry guys I was looking for the ATV forum,Gps has screwed up because some how I have pulled a 360 and I'm back at my sons daycare again. Geez lighten up gentlemen. Now I have a Brand new 500 HO 2005 it has 2miles on it and I'm itching to get on it. What should I look for the melting is visable from the outside or is it only from the back side

Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Completely un related topic but there are lots of Polaris owners here. I have the new lock and ride rear plastic rack. I have a kimpex seat and I want to install it on this rack. On my 04 it was held with u-bolts any hints on bolting this down It looks like I can just use 3" bolts but I thought maybe I could make a metal track or something to intergrate it with the lock and ride track

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)