Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

Originally posted by: HABHATR
Hey problem, what exactly is your problem. MT is entitled to an opinion just like every one else, so why are you acting like child and threatening to report him like we're all in grade school.
You have a quad issue and that's fine but if you don't like peoples comments don't put on the forum and keep the crying for your dealer or better yet go buy a honda and ride the high ground. This you can report to the moderator.
thank-you!
i was wondering how long it would take for someone to realize what a stupid comment Problem had made in his 3rd post. he has posted THREE topics on the SAME subject about melting plastic. and ONLY the 3 SAME guys write in support. every other 800 owner is not having this problem? it seems to me that they are NOT!

i do see some good suggestions being made about the ceramic coat idea.

Perky stop APOLIGIZING! you have nothing to be sorry for!

in fact, i contacted TWO local Polaris dealers inquiring about this melting thing and not ONE ATV owner has had a problem. WTH!

~MT

Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

yes, you're right but habhatr makes a good point.

Now about your mounting issue. Had the exact same delema,I loosened the rear rack assy and mounted mine with the U bolts I used on my 700. Bit of a pain in the butt though, had to move a couple holes and filled the old ones with silicone.
What's worse was mounting the kimpes foot pegs, that was alot of fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

So I'm gathering that there is a Polaris seat now available in lock and ride? I'd love to hook my Kimpex up somehow to make it a quick attach. Okay I'm off to my doddle pad there has to be away. If I come up with something Drog I'll let you know

Old 06-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mtpockets

thank-you!
i was wondering how long it would take for someone to realize what a stupid comment Problem had made in his 3rd post. he has posted THREE topics on the SAME subject about melting plastic. and ONLY the 3 SAME guys write in support. every other 800 owner is not having this problem? it seems to me that they are NOT!

i do see some good suggestions being made about the ceramic coat idea.

Perky stop APOLIGIZING! you have nothing to be sorry for!

in fact, i contacted TWO local Polaris dealers inquiring about this melting thing and not ONE ATV owner has had a problem. WTH!

~MT

This is typical of forums on the Internet. I went through this with my leaking Ford 6.0 PowerStroke and again with my gas boiling 660. With the 660 I was attacked for quite some time on forums such as this until other users ran into the issue. Now that other folks have the issue with the 660 and Yamaha made a "voluntary service request" to deal with it, its no big deal to talk about it. While you and your two dealers in Mass may not have this problem the heat is quite a bit different down here in Texas.

Some folks are having a problem and are looking to the forums for a solution. I have spent MY money trying to fix my quad and offer a solution to others. So far it has not worked.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I agree, I use forums such as this to weed out the problem quads in order to make a decision on a purchase.
Slamming people doesn't help but making manufacturers sound like they are building junk isn't acceptable either. people like myself value an honest opinion not one put out in anger for the manufacturer, my 800 seems fine then again I don't see the temps some of you do, and if and when I do, I will be diplomatic about it in order to get an honest response.
Tempers need to be checked before typing.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

The plastic doesn't touch the heat shield on the 500's. It does on the 800. Every 800 ridden in warm weather will experience a certain amount of melting. They have to the way it is designed. The plastic lays on the heat shield. It is just a fact. No use to argue about it. I haven't talk to my dealer yet, but I am sure I will have to use extra heat tape or something. Other than that, the 800 is a fantastic machine. This is my third Polaris, and won't be my last.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

I agree, I was asvised today that there is NUMEROUS complaints about the melting... For the ones that are interested and ONLY the Ones that are interested Polaris is sending 5 to 10 Quads to the South,,,, Central Louisiana and Texas to ride... The Location in Louisiana looks like it will be around Alexandria La.....Not certain where at in Texas......Tex i dont know about you but i would love to give them a tour of Marango Swamp..... I am trying to get a date..

Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Someone asked for a picture...

http://www.ansley.net/temp/100_5261_Medium.jpg
http://www.ansley.net/temp/100_5262_Medium.jpg

Note that depending on what gear you are in the gear shifter will either force the plastic on the heat shield with more or less pressure. As far as heat tape on there....well let me tell you heat tape melts quite well too. That entire area comes stock heat taped up. Even if it didnt touch it wouldnt be fun to ride. The portion of the fender just behind the "on demand awd" sticker is unbearable to the touch.

As far as them bring quads down here I too will try to find out where, but I could ride them aroud my block in suburban america here and with one lap they will be feeling the pain.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

The Black cover over my scrambler exhaust gets pretty darn hot too. Hot enough for a minor burn if you touch it with skin. I plan on using some type of header wrap to help keep the heat in the pipe instead of the plastic

Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen the melting on two of the 5 800's sold here in SD. One of them also broke the crank at 800 miles.

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)