Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)

Just thought everyone might want to have this info Polaris want help us so we must do it our selves!!!1-800-638-2772 Let them kow just how concerned you are with this issue and how Dangerous it can be ((U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

CPSC is interested in obtaining additional information regarding the incident with your Polaris ATV. Please call uor toll-free hotline number listed below and file an incident report. TPlease be advised that you may obtain CPSC publications, recalls and general safety related information via our web site at www.cpsc.gov. Click on the "Search" icon and type in your topic. You may also file an incident report via the web site mentioned above. If you have additional inquiries, you may call our toll-free hotline at 1-800-638-2772, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time. Press 1 to begin and then press 3 to speak with a representativehank you for contacting the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

band wagons are bad, mkay?

Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"problem", i thought your plastic was replaced under warranty so what are you bitching about.

also, your 3 other topics about plastic melting on SP500's came-up empty handed......... noone with a Sportsman500 had melting...........and only a very few 800's had the melting............ of which all of them admitted that they were in very hot weather driving in deep ozzing mud and beating on the ATV.

time to let it go bro![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris shouldnot sell to the south if it cant handle the heat!! I see you are from Massachuetts?? I have read NOTHING about deep ozing MUDD?? So you keep ridding your 04 Sportsman and let the ones that can afford the new bike handle the issue as listed BRO!

Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: problem
Polaris shouldnot sell to the south if it cant handle the heat!! I see you are from Massachuetts?? I have read NOTHING about deep ozing MUDD?? So you keep ridding your 04 Sportsman and let the ones that can afford the new bike handle the issue as listed BRO!
yo bro, i had TWO '05 Sportsmans (500 and 700EFI DaleJr Special Edition). both had NO problem with melting and not-even-close-to-hot fenders. not ONE person on this Forum has had a problem with melting on their 500's either. let me reitterate that only a very few 800 owners have had this problem......and for the fact that they were working them hard in deep mud and very hot weather.

BTW, i hope for '06 Polaris has addressed the rattling-like-crazy fenders on the Sportsman's. both of my '05's had very noisy fenders! LOL!

(i'm waiting for a 2006 500EFI and a Ranger6X6)

you gotta move on bro![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Dont need the Goverment messing with my ride thats why I ride to start with get away from all the bull crap in the world..as far as melting plastic..I have 2 2005 800EFI
Sportsmans....no melting im in southwest virginia it"s hot here....only melting i know is a guy fron texas has melted a side cover but they run 27 inch mud tires and run
99% in low range all day..there mud riders he told me he burns a tankof gas in just 8 miles so you can see he"s pounding it pretty good.......

Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I trail ride in the mountains of western Arkansas. A pretty even mix of high and low. I have plastic melting on my 800 where the plastic touches a heat shield on the exhaust just behind the right side panel. The most annoying thing is you can smell it. It seems to be getting worse as the weather warms up. I am going to talk to my dealer this week.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Guys attacking people like what is being done here does nothing for this forum or our sport. He sees a problem...one that I 100% share...and is stating how we can help to see it fixed. I personally forked over the $140 bill to have mine ceramic coated and it was still completely unbearable to ride. I have a few "friends" working on pin pointing the source of the heat with a temp gun. I should have some temperature specs shortly as this quad is being riden all day so it will get plenty warm.

perky, I assume the person you are referring to is me as I have stated all that (except for the tiny tires you mention....27s....). BUT, I rode all day on Saturday for a work project in high range for around 4 hours chasing a dude on a sport quad. This was after the ceramic coating had been done....completely unacceptable. That one footwell was uninhabitable. I rode with my foot on the front rack.

Good to see Arkansawyer is having this problem. Again we have about 8-10 800s in my group and every one of us has this issue. We have a great dealer that will replace plastic for us, but replacing plastic just to get melted again is not a solution. I could care less about the plastic...its my leg that is slowly cooking and will become like a roasted chicken in the summer that I care about.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks TEX we needed that for this forum as far as MTPOCKETS he has been reported to the moderator....

Old 06-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well PERKY,, I work for the Government.....I am glad you dont have a problem YET.. and hopefully you want because it sucks.....So ride and enjoy

Quick Reply: 05 Sportsman's So hot it will Burn (Melting Plastic)