Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need a professionals opinion please on tuning clutches

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a professionals opinion please on tuning

can some one give me some suggestions on what primary spring, secondary spring, helix and wheights to use in my 05 tb 250. I don't want to buy one of these kits. I'm trying to get as much power as i can through the entire rpm range. HELP!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default need a professionals opinion please on tuning clutches

well the first question would be where you wat it to engage, Mine engages at about 2800 rpm since it doesn't make power under 3000.
the next thing you need to know is where your making your top power because you want it to shift out at the maximun power rmp.
now with those two things you can consult with a good clutch tunner give the guys a call at hotseatperformance.com They are helping me tune the bike to me. there are some other variables too like type of riding and so forth. I think it would be hard to just post a color for you without really getting to know your bike and the way you ride it, go right to the source the guys that do it every day.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

A Polaris white spring is a good replacement for the 250. It is a stock spring for a 400. Scramading has a point. What kind of riding do you want to do? This will help in making a decision. You can also call Rick Ritter at Ritter Cycle Racing. He can help you out. Very nice guy and will only sell you what you want. 618-644-3211. He usually answers the phone himself.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

i do alot of hill climbs, thats why i already wrecked, i lost power right at the top of the hill and rolled it. i guess i want a little tourquey quad but i don't want to sacrifice all my top end. I'm really just looking for suggestions. Or if someone can direct me to a clutch website who puts it down in lamens terms on how they work, i cant understand these other websites. "Like Polaris Clutching For Dummies" or something like that.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Aaen's clutch tuning handbook. It's not light reading if you are starting off from nothing, but it will sink in the more you read it.

Once you understand your clutches, you can make your own decisions. Kits are middle of the road and often require tweaking to get similar performance from 2 of the same type machines.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well let me just say that learning how to tune a Cvt clutch isn't a overnight class. You need a tach to determine when the machine engages and full shift out. I got the Aaen clutch tuning book a week or so ago and am still trying to digest all the info. That's why all these companies make clutch kits cause they have done all the reasearch on what works best for most people. Polaris covers alot of people in the way they set up their clutches from the factory and the aftermarket company narrows down who want more performance from their machines. I think that you would probably be happy with just a primary and secondary spring change. The secondary spring will help you power to the ground by giving you less belt slip and better backshift. If you are climbing big hills and loosing power at the top then it seems that a pipe might be in order as well.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you arent going to pipe it go with either a white or green polaris primary spring,a Polaris gold secondary spring set at 2-2 and try a set of S55 shift weights.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

here's a good link to the basics tons and tons of info great clutching info

Old 06-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

ok ty that helped