Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oops, flipped my Sportsman today

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops, flipped my Sportsman today

Originally posted by: ScramblerKid8
It dosent matter if it was 100 degrees out. I would rather wear a helmet and be hot then have a accident and become seriously hurt or even die./I know it sounds dumb but you can replce the bike but you cant replace yourself.
I agree. Im not preachin' either but i would've been gone several times now if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I realize that a Polaris 700 is not a 250R, but with as much as that bike weighs you can't be 2 careful. Wether you're racing a 250R on a track or scouting elk on a 700, things can go wrong...

Old 07-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1BAD250R
Originally posted by: ScramblerKid8
It dosent matter if it was 100 degrees out. I would rather wear a helmet and be hot then have a accident and become seriously hurt or even die./I know it sounds dumb but you can replce the bike but you cant replace yourself.
I agree. Im not preachin' either but i would've been gone several times now if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I realize that a Polaris 700 is not a 250R, but with as much as that bike weighs you can't be 2 careful. Wether you're racing a 250R on a track or scouting elk on a 700, things can go wrong...
I agree in wearing a helmet most times and I have never ridden without one when riding on my street bike. But seriously, I'm on a utility machine, even though it can go close to 70 mph, most of my riding is at 5 mph. I choose not to wear a helmet because it is too frickin' hot outside. When I flipped, I bailed, no chance of getting hurt except maybe twisting an ankle when I jumped. Its not the first time I flipped, just the first time on this machine. I want to be comfortable when I ride, not sweating like mad when I ride, which wouldn't be a pleasure.

If you wear a helmet in this heat, you have to cool your head somehow. You can induce heat stroke and can actually fry your brain due to too much heat. Its not a joke, you have to keep your head cool. The way to keep it cool in really hot weather, is to not wear a helmet. If you were continually cruising at higher speeds, that is enough wind to keep the head cooler, but not riding slow. If you don't believe me, come and ride here in 100 degree weather and I'll show you what I mean...you'll figure it out really quick.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Thats all understandable. I live in South Florida so believe me i know what its like to ride in 100 degree weather...plus we have incomparable humidity down here which is worse than the heat. I guess I take it for granted that I ride at high speeds and have vents in my helmet to cool me. BTW, my racing gear is 100% black....riding in discomfort is my middle name! Just be careful thats all! Those rocks look sharp!

Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you're ok Dave.

I used to ski. We'd go to Colorado every year. I took my gps. A person can easily get up to 45 mph. People typically don't wear helmets while skiiing. Food for thought.

Also food for thought.

Jimmy can tell you about serious injuries from low speed crashes (less than 5 mph). We'll have to wait to see if he responds on Tuesday. Jimmy is as careful as a rider can be. Accidents happen though.

This may be hard to picture. I loaded my quad into my truck a few months ago. I got off my seat and placed my left foot next to the rear tire of the quad. I had to swing my right foot around to put it on the tailgate.

Well, I don't know how, but super fast, I went down head first to the ground off the side of the truck (2500 HD). Very scary.
I have a relative who works one on one with people who have broken their back or neck and are quadriplegic. You wouldn't believe how easily you can break your neck doing normally daily activities or seemingly low risk activities. Anyway, I digress.

Just a few weeks earlier I had decided that I was going to wear my helmet while loading the quad into the truck. I'm glad I did.

By the way, I love my sportsman.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Quad Patrol

Wow, Missed these photos when you first posted them. I too am glad you and your friend are ok[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I know about heat too. Your old enough to know when to ride with a helmet. One of the things I didn't see or maybe I missed it, was it private or public land? I know you can get hurt the same, no matter where you ride. However, on public land, they can/will cite you. I'm sure your not one that would come here and complain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

All in all, I'm glad you are here to post more pictures of your outdoor adventures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Quad Patrol

And that area looks like awesome elk habitat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Wow, Missed these photos when you first posted them. I too am glad you and your friend are ok[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I know about heat too. Your old enough to know when to ride with a helmet. One of the things I didn't see or maybe I missed it, was it private or public land? I know you can get hurt the same, no matter where you ride. However, on public land, they can/will cite you. I'm sure your not one that would come here and complain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

All in all, I'm glad you are here to post more pictures of your outdoor adventures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

We have no helmet law here in NM....only for kids....

I appreciate everyones comments, it doesn't offend me. Its like looking at motorcycle riders on the street, I can't believe there are that many that don't wear helmets.

Jefffoxsr....Jeff I understand. I know people can get hurt when they ride slow, but I used to roadrace motorcycles and won 3 regional championships and 2 national championships....I raced jetskis and finished 7th in the Busch World Cup tour even after not finishing the last race because my ski was stolen.....so I know one thing, how to get off....I've crashed at 110 mph on the motorcycle, had my head run over by a jet ski....not saying this will help everything, but one thing I know how to do is ride, no matter what it is....

If I lived in many parts of the country, I would wear a helmet and I do have a helmet for the ATV and wear it in the winter. I just choose not too during the summer....to me it takes away from the enjoyment of riding and it would also cook my brain.

1BAD250R....If I had a sport machine and was cranking away, I would always have helmet on....I wear one on my mountain bike all the time...if you seen me ride, you would know why....I ride the mountain bike hard....but for the Sportsman, most of the time just cruising or crawling...

thanks guys...
dave

Old 07-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: elkbowWe have no helmet law here in NM....only for kids....
There you have it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] a state that still lets adults[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] make their own decisions[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]