Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 500 Questions

I have a new 2005 Sportsman 500 with approximately 200 miles on it now, and have 3 questions:

1.) While coasting along at a low speeds, and then I suddenly give it a burst of throttle, I hear a clunking sound (just 1 clunk) coming from the transmission\rear axle area. Is this normal? The clunk is not real loud, but I can hear it. I hope this is normal.

2.) The top of the engine (cylinder head area) has small amount of oil seaping out of some of the gaskets (mainly on the right hand side). Is this normal? The engine is not "dripping" any oil, but there is a very small amount "seaping" out. I'm wondering if this will get worse over time, and start "dripping"? My ATV is still under warranty, and I'm not sure if it is worth me having the dealer to fix it. If this is a normal thing for this engine, I do not want to waste my time taking it to the dealer, have them fix it, and watch it start "seaping" again in 6 months.

3.) While riding along at 30 mph, or faster, the handle bars shake a little bit. Do I have a front tire(s) that need re-balanced, or is this normal? Does the front end need re-aligned? It's done this since the first day I rode it. The ATV has never been wrecked, or hit anything hard.

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Old 06-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I may can help you on question #2. Mine was doing the same thing so I pulled the plastic off to look at it and clean it and found that 3 or 4 (can't remember which) of the valve cover bolts were completly gone and some of the others loose. I would look at that first before I may a trip to the dealer.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

I will take #1. It is your EBS and is completely normal.

My guess is on #3 is that either the tire is not seated totally or you have a problem with the tire itself. Balance is usally an up and down hop where side to side with the handle bars is tire mounting or bad tire.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

i can't help you, but reading about your problems really makes me happy that i bought a yamaha.
you should sell it while you still can and buy something decent like any: honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki.
before you come off on me, i will say that i would buy a polaris snowmobile in a minute, but as for there atv's, they just don't have it.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

^- Pleast don't feed the troll above. -^ Ignore him. His post has nothing to do with solving this problem and only wants to throw this thread off-topic.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Well buckshot12,

I disagree with you completely !! ......... I bought a new Honda Rubicon in 2003 and although the Rubi is an awesome machine with a tranny that is second to none, it doesn't even come close to comparing to the Polaris 500 HO for overall utility. The Rubicon rides rougher then a bulldozer and it's 3 wheel drive system simply doesn't cut it when having to go through muddy terrain. Take from a guy who's been there many, MANY times. I hated having to be winched out continuously while my buddies with a Polaris went through the same hole without the least bit of effort.......... and that my friend is a FACT !!!

I have owned and babied all of my Honda motorcycles, ATV's lawnmowers and outboard motors. I'm certainly not bashing Honda because let's face it, their product can stand the test of time but the Honda "ATV team" desperately needs to pull up their socks because they are definitely lagging behind in "present day" ATV technology.

Both my Polaris 500's have been trouble free and in my opinion, the Polaris 500 HO is 10 times the quad the Rubi will ever be........ (unless of course Honda decides to stop simply relying on their good name and actually build a quad with the same features as the rest of the market).

Hey Polaris5,

#1--- I agree with xcrider, the clunking noise is simply your ebs. Perfectly normal.

#2--- If you're seeing the least bit of oil seaping around your engine, take it back to your dealer and insist that it gets fixed. It is certainly NOT normal.

#3--- I can only base my answer on my own experience. Neither of my 500's have a "shake" so I would guess that something's not right.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: buckshot12
i can't help you, but reading about your problems really makes me happy that i bought a yamaha.
you should sell it while you still can and buy something decent like any: honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki.
before you come off on me, i will say that i would buy a polaris snowmobile in a minute, but as for there atv's, they just don't have it.
Go back to the yamaha board. we don't need the BS over here.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by: buckshot12
I ride all the time with guys who have Grizzlys. They break rear axles constantly........between the two of them they've broken at least 8 rear axles in a two to three year span......one has about 2500 miles and the other has about 3000 miles. They also seem to go through CV's and boots fairly often. I ride my Sportsman with them and I have have had it for one year, 950 miles, and not had to do even a CV boot. If you compare the drivetrain and suspension components it's obvious why.......the Sportsman is built with much more heavy duty stuff.

My understanding is that Yamaha had to redesign there Grizzly rear axles for subsequent year machines because it was a problem. That doesn't help them.......they still break axles and it's expensive. They have become quite adept at replacing them.

Other than this obvious (and EXPENSIVE) axle defect, the Grizzly machines are nice. But I've ridden them and I like the Sportsman suspension better.......of course there 660cc/600lb Grizzlys have more gitty-up than my 425cc/700lb Sportsman........but just you wait till I get the Heelclicker installed...... look out world! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

hahahahahaha. it's true about what they say, the polaris crowd are very loyal. i've never owned a polaris and every one that i ride with are anti polaris. except one guy, he has a 500 ho. i've ridden it and i can't say that it's a bad machine. it's just......i can't get past how heavy they are and how ugly they are(my opinion). the way i ride is fast and hard, so an extra 100 pounds makes a huge difference on how it handles in hard turns. also, i can't deal with one linked hand brake and no control over my diff lock. i ride with many others that have grizzlies and none of us have ever had our axles break, but we all have stock size tires too. reguardless, they shouldn't break and i won't stick up for yamaha just because i have one. even though it would give you guys something to talk about. i hope you all know that this is all in good fun. i enjoy a good debate[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

To polaris5,

hi, my name is bob and i have an answer to your 1st question because i have the same bike,2005 polaris sportsman 500 HO, dont worry about the clunking because my bike does the same thing it is just the EBS.

And for your 2nd question i have a similar thing just mine used leaks oil out around the exhaust gaskets and out of the valve covers and i took it to the dealer and it needed a new gaskets from the factory.

And for your 3rd question, if the handlebar shake at about 30+ mph that is not normal and you should have your dealer take a look at it THANK YOU [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2005 Sportsman 500 Questions