Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 500 Questions

Originally posted by: buckshot12
come on guys! lighten up. like i said in my last reply, if yamaha screws something up, i won't be the one to stick up for them. i noticed that no one confronted polaris' problems that i listed, you guys just blasted me and my griz. so, who's 15? sorry for getting off topic. i didn't realize that these forums were anything but entertainment.
What problems did you list???? Diff. lock?? That is a bonus. The brakes don't make much difference to me. The sportsman isn't made for tight handling on corners in tight trails and if you want there is always the foot pedal for rear only.
You want entertainment stick to the bogus forums that are mindless and never end. Many people come in here to ask real questions and get real help.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 500 Questions

Originally posted by: Polaris5
I have a new 2005 Sportsman 500 with approximately 200 miles on it now, and have 3 questions:

1.) While coasting along at a low speeds, and then I suddenly give it a burst of throttle, I hear a clunking sound (just 1 clunk) coming from the transmission\rear axle area. Is this normal? The clunk is not real loud, but I can hear it. I hope this is normal.

2.) The top of the engine (cylinder head area) has small amount of oil seaping out of some of the gaskets (mainly on the right hand side). Is this normal? The engine is not "dripping" any oil, but there is a very small amount "seaping" out. I'm wondering if this will get worse over time, and start "dripping"? My ATV is still under warranty, and I'm not sure if it is worth me having the dealer to fix it. If this is a normal thing for this engine, I do not want to waste my time taking it to the dealer, have them fix it, and watch it start "seaping" again in 6 months.

3.) While riding along at 30 mph, or faster, the handle bars shake a little bit. Do I have a front tire(s) that need re-balanced, or is this normal? Does the front end need re-aligned? It's done this since the first day I rode it. The ATV has never been wrecked, or hit anything hard.

Thank you in advance for your feedback
1. Yes, that's normal. Annoying, but normal....

2. It should not be leaking oil. As far as wasting your time taking it to the dealer, and then it doing it again in 6 months... That's the best reason to take it. So there is documentation of the problem. Granted, it's probably no big deal and loose valve cover as mentioned before. But you never know, and it's best to have it documented in case a related problem creeps up out of warranty.

3. On pavement they all seem to shake a little. But I don't notice it on the dirt as much. If it's noticable enough that you feel it's a saftey/handling risk, have it looked at. If it's truly 'just a little wobble' on pavment, I wouldn't worry about it.