Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'01 Xplorer Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Xplorer Mod's

I have used a Dynaport exhaust on my 1997 Explorer 400. It is a little louder than stock but only a little. An increase of one size main jet is recommended. I tried that but found the engine overly rich. I went back to the stock jet and the system worked fine. You get more top end and slightly better fuel mileage. I went with Bear Claw tires - four ply I believe. That was a mistake. Sure enough they get rid of the tire roll when going around sharp turns but they destroy the ride quality of the machine. Look for a tire with an agesssive tread but three ply if possible. The rear shock is naturally soft with plenty of travel. I thought mine was gone but when I compared it with a new gas shock I found there was very little difference and reinstalled the original. Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Xplorer Mod's

Originally posted by: gwyette
I have used a Dynaport exhaust on my 1997 Explorer 400. It is a little louder than stock but only a little. An increase of one size main jet is recommended. I tried that but found the engine overly rich. I went back to the stock jet and the system worked fine. You get more top end and slightly better fuel mileage. I went with Bear Claw tires - four ply I believe. That was a mistake. Sure enough they get rid of the tire roll when going around sharp turns but they destroy the ride quality of the machine. Look for a tire with an agesssive tread but three ply if possible. The rear shock is naturally soft with plenty of travel. I thought mine was gone but when I compared it with a new gas shock I found there was very little difference and reinstalled the original. Hope this helps.
If it's a little louder then stock, I'm ok with that. I just didn't want it to be ungodly loud and pi$$ people off. That pipe sounds like it would be the way to go. I like the idea of more top end and better fuel mileage; nowadays better fuel mileage is a definite must. I've been looking at either Dirt Devils or Mudlites for tires. I want to stick with 25" tires but I want a deep lug that's still good on different surfaces; snow, mud, hard pack, etc. I'm thinking of the Mudlites so I can get the XL's with the deeper lug; but I'll keep looking up until the day I make the purchase.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I can't really complain about my rear shock but my front ones still work good but provide a rough ride on bumpy trails. I'm thinking I might go with the Progressive suspension so I can adjust the tension easily; but I'm always open to suggestions.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the recommendations so far and answering my questions.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]