Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Safety Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005 | 11:57 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Safety Issue

Has anyone heard of, or experienced a problem with the AWD engaging on its own at speeds greater than 30 MPH? I have heard that when this happens, it's typically only one wheel that will engage and it will cause the ATV to pull hard in that direction causing the ATV to roll. Anyone heard of this? I have two sportsman 500's. I tried to call polaris directly. Impossible to get through to a service technician. Also called a Polaris dealer, they hadn't heard anything. This problem does occur in reverse because one of the wheels will not disengage, but it's not a safety issue like it would be at 30+ MPH.

Old 07-10-2005 | 03:29 PM

Originally posted by: Mudder1
Has anyone heard of, or experienced a problem with the AWD engaging on its own at speeds greater than 30 MPH? I have heard that when this happens, it's typically only one wheel that will engage and it will cause the ATV to pull hard in that direction causing the ATV to roll. Anyone heard of this? I have two sportsman 500's. I tried to call polaris directly. Impossible to get through to a service technician. Also called a Polaris dealer, they hadn't heard anything. This problem does occur in reverse because one of the wheels will not disengage, but it's not a safety issue like it would be at 30+ MPH.
Never heard of it.

"I have heard this happens ......." Where did you hear it??? Please explain the source of this "information".

Old 07-10-2005 | 04:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

I heard it last week from a guy I know that rides with a different group than mine. He drives a KQ, but his friend drives a sportsman. It happened last weekend and he said the guy ended up pretty beat up. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. I emailed Polaris Customer Service, they responded with "we don't address part or vehicle issues". Note sure what they would address, if not that???? They gave me the technical support phone number. They put me on perminent hold. I'm not sure how real this is, because the guy that told me is a bit of a BS'er. Like I said, I've looked quite a bit on the internet and haven't found any reference to it, so I thought I'd try an active Forum website. I also emailed a guy that is a freelance writer for different ATV mags. He hadn't heard anything either, but he was going to look into it with some of his sources.

Note that I have had wheels lock up when I'm backing up, but thats because the hub wouldn't release for AWD. It's a pretty easy fix. You just pull ahead, then back up again. That usually takes care of it. But that's different than 30+ MPH and having that happen. Especially if you're ATV'ing through wooded areas.

Old 07-11-2005 | 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

It will only engage on its own if the back tires are spinning a lot faster than the fronts (even in 2wd), and even that is rare. When it gets wedged in 3 or 4 wheel drive it is stuck from previously using awd. So for it to happen at 30, it would have to have been pulling the whole time you were accelerating.

I have tried going fast with a hub wedged on, just to see what it would be like. It pulls pretty good, but not enough to spin you out of control. Would only be a problem if you were cruising with one hand or something like that. The fact that it doesnt just wedge all of a sudden, there is nothing to worry about.

Old 07-11-2005 | 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Your awd hub nut is not torqued . I think it's 24 inlbs. or something. Or you have bearing prob/ plate prob. Call your dealer and get the spec. Drop it off if you dont have the tools. That can sail you into a tree when your not ready. Your dealer can fix this easily. If they dont know what your talking about try another. (pathetic that they did not know)

Old 07-11-2005 | 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

I think it is 12 INCH pounds, which is 1 foot pound for that castle nut in the hub.

Old 07-11-2005 | 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Older polaris hubs will lock up at 30mph due to simple lack of maintanance in the hubs. The hub oil should be changed acordingly to the manual's instructions. Worn (or lazy) garter springs cause this also, so can bent c/v shafts (or even worn). ANY kind of driveline wear in the front will cause this condition. If your atv does this, leave the switch in 4x4 till it goes to the dealer, the hubs USUALLY won't lock up with the 4x4 engaged. Again, this is only for older atv's with worn parts, or newer ones with bent parts.

Old 07-12-2005 | 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

The engagement is now centralized on all sportsmans', not at the hubs, so both will engage if anything.
This was first found on the '02 introduction of the 700 and on all the twins. In 'O4 the 500 and 400 sportsman's have central engagement.

The scramblers may still be at the wheels hubs.

Jim

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it was just an excuse for falling off.
I remember when I was 16 I was going to fast around a corner and slid into somebodys yard and got stuck on their rock garden. When the police came I said a dog ran out in front of me and I didn't want to hit it. The cop told me that whenever a teenager runs off the road their always seems to be a dog, cat, or squirrel involved. He knew I was full of it.

Old 07-14-2005 | 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScramaDamaDingDong
Maybe it was just an excuse for falling off.
I remember when I was 16 I was going to fast around a corner and slid into somebodys yard and got stuck on their rock garden.
Sorry, but that's pretty funny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Quick Reply: Sportsman Safety Issue