Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Ramp Buttons only made it 75 miles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ramp Buttons only made it 75 miles!!!

Hey Guys, Maybe one of you can help me out with this. About one month ago, I put new ramp buttons and new spring in my secondary clutch. I set the spring at 2/2. The helix had some light scarring on it that I buffed out with 240 & 320 grit sand paper. I have ridden it 3 weekends since I put that stuff in it and I think I have put about 75 not so easy miles on it since that work was done. I rode it yesterday and the its started "slipping" again. With some investigation I found the ramp buttons are all worn out and flat. Why would they wear out so fast? It seemed like they wore out instantly, just like last time. I was riding through my friends yard and it just started slipping really bad. I wasnt being hard on it, the ground was level and it happened all at once. Is that what these buttons do when they wear out?

The type of riding I have done is riding wheelies, Low and High range, a few donuts on dry pavement( only a few because everybody on here chewed my *** for doing them, LOL), a little jumping, lots of mud, took it swimming a few times in some creeks, a couple of speed runs on the road ( got it up to 64!! woo hoo!!!), and a lot of hill climbing. Im pretty sure that I use low range whenever I should, I try to use it on any steep hills and in any deep mud that i have to work it through. My buddy thinks riding wheelies are why I have broken both rear axles and the buttons wore out. What do you guys think??

Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Buy a roller secondary, you'll never look back.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jumping would cause the wear more than the wheelies.Esspeically if it doesnt back shift fast enough.If you plan on keeping the 500 the TEAM is the way to go.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

TEAM? Im not sure if I will keep this one or not. Even though I have beefed it up quite a bit, I still want more power. I keep riding my buddies SP700 and I cant get over its stock power! I cant help but think of how fast one of those would be with the type of upgrades I have done to mine. How can I make the ramp buttons last longer without buying a new secondary? I mean besides the obvious answer of being easier on it when I ride. Are there different types of ramp buttons?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

You can get a set of HPD metal buttons from HPD or Ritter cycle and you wont wear them out I think They are like$15 each.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Oondaddy I have the HPD secondary buttons On the scrammy. I thought I might as well change them out while I was doing the other mods. The stock buttons looked to have very little wear. Sounds like something is not right with your secondary.