Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got my Scrammy...couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:14 PM
RJF
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Scrammy...couple questions...

I FINALLY got my Scrambler today delivered from Arizona. Took three weeks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

It is a 2004 4x4 500HO and is in good shape but there are a few things that are a little weird and am curious if it's just characteristics of the ATV.

1. When I go to take off it revs up a little and then the clutches engage. With our Sportsman and Xplorer, as soon as you touch the gas the quad moves, the Scrammy doesn't for 1 second.

2. When I am coming to a stop, nearly stopped, I hear a little squeel coming from the front clutch almost like a bird. I have heard my Polaris snowmobiles make a similar sound but none of our other Polaris ATV's make any noise from the belt housing and clutches.

3. The front handle bars are bent just a little, how hard is this to fix?

4. THe brake pedal doesn't work. It is full of fluid and I bled it twice and got a little air along with a stream of oil. THe brake handle works fine though, but obviously because it's a seperate master cylinder. What could be wrong with the foot brake system?

5. I have a K&N filter. I have found that K&N is basically junk for the actual filtration part in pickups.
Does the K&N really help on an ATV or can I chuck the thing for a better filtering filter?

6. The front rims are a little dented. Is this common?

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the Scrammy. It sounds like it was used am I right?

1) If it was used the primary spring may have been changed for a higher engagement or the clutch is sticking a little. You can take off the clutch cover to see what color the spring is and go from there.

2) The clutches can be noisey at times but it may be a problem that is along with your first question. The primary ramp buttons may be worn down causing it to make noise.

3) You can easily replace the front bars. You can get the OEM bars or aftermarket bars.

4)The rear floor brake almost never works on ANY Polaris atv. Not sure why but they just dont. And if they do work or you get it to work then your lucky.

5) Most have found that the K&N works great in atv applications. I have always run them and even in my 2 strokes after tearing the motor down for routine rebuild I have never come across a cylinder wall that was scored because of dirt. You can choose to get a better filter or use the K&N but either way it is better than the OEM filter.

6) The front wheels will get dented because thats where most of the abuse from hitting rocks occures. I have yet to see front wheels not dented on an atv if you do alot of trail riding. Rocks like to jump out at you.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I second that. Check what primary spring is in there. If it is stock it should not rev up like that. Mine is an aggresive clutch kit and it revs faily high before engaging. There isnt a delay, just has to reach a higher rpm before engagement.

If I were you I would change all fluids and oil filter for peace of mind and so you know how to do it and become familiar with the quad. I would also check the clutches and wear on the belt, or replace the belt.

Forget about the foot brake, if you get it to work it will only last one or two rides and will be non effective again.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
RJF
Range Rover

2manytoys,

Yeah, it's an used ATV.

I will check to see what color springs are on the clutch. Since I found a K&N I wouldn't be suprised if there is a different spring or something in it. BUt....this could be a good thing right? Most of you guys have a different primary spring correct? Maybe it's already done for me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So the foot brakes are completely worthless?

Old 07-13-2005, 01:17 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Also, are EBS equipped Scrammies labeled with EBS markings? Mine feels like it's got EBS but there are no markings.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with 2many and jim.

If you have a higher engagement spring this is good for performance.
you may also need to use the reverse override yellow button all the time for it to move.

Replace the rear brake pads and bleed it until it works, mine is ok but many are not.

Get some Douglas .190 wheels, they are lighter, look good and are tuff.
I did, mine were bent too.

Tusk has some nice alum T7 bars for $25 at Rocky mt. ATV.com

Jim

Old 07-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 Scrambler 400 and have the higher engaging spring in my clutch. It mostly takes getting used to. The engine just gets into a higher rpm before engaging but when your out riding you don't notice. Loading/unloading, moving around in driveway is when I notice it.

I agree with Jim on the brakes, bleed the brakes, replace pad (not in that order) and test out. The rear pedal on 400's are backup system only (like parking brake), I'm assuming the newer 500's are the same.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yea the foot brake is just a backup. Use the hand brake, it will stop front and rear tires.