Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pol rear Boots , 800 anyone change em yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pol rear Boots , 800 anyone change em yet?

Noticed grease leaking out rear upper boot. Bought new one and took out drive shaft. could not get shaft out of upper cv joint. Went to take bottom off and noticed pin hole in that one as well. Anyone able to get the shaft out . Neither end wants to (even with hammer)and they are both full of grease. I can't even believe this myself. My 400 lasted 1200 miles before some Ice cut 1. If it was'nt happening to me I'd think I was having a bad dream. I feel like someone is going to jump out and this has been one of those Jokes they have on TV. I am not joking 460 miles and heres the breakdown
front& rear box leak
exhaust manifold header bolts vibrate off 300 mi. , oil around head
rear rack falls apart. never tightened
three flats 5/8" from new sharp rim edge. Guess they changed them for next year
had to buy steel rims and tires back .
mach wont shift into gear
Dealer says the motor was not properly aligned.
aligned moter and they turned down the Idle so mutch it sounds like it is gasping for air (even w/ EFI)
2500 lb WARN winch dies. Dealer Installed.
rear CV boot leaking oil. Dealer says pol wont cover that either.
buy new one take shaft out myself and notice other side has pin hole.
Even doing one before on my other Mac. this one will not come apart on either end.
still think I'm just venting?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

all i know is my dads boots were breaking like crazy untill he asked the dealer about it... They have guards for them that go under it.. we got those and now 3 years later still havent broke another one... so i would get the boot guards if i was you

Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I had this same problem with my 04 400 3 times but I'm not sure on how to change them because I took them to my dealer when they broke. They covered the whole cost the first time when it was under warranty. So if it's still under warranty that's BS that they won't cover it because they covered mine. Cost me $100 bucks the 2nd time. the 3rd time I was pissed so I talked to Polaris they only made me pay for the boot and not the labor, $30 bucks. It would really be a good idea to get those guards that biohaZ was talking about though because it WILL just keep happening.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Bionic im not raggin you but to be honest I havent heard ya say a good thing unless Ive missed something during your rants..
and id say theres nothing out there that would please ya..im runnin 2 2005 800"s 500 miles on one 350 on the other im in Appalachia
yes thats the mountains and to say we have anything you wanna ride in terms of terrain....I ride with common sense and I dont abuse
my ride..I run hard where you can run hard but I dont abuse it....bottom line...you can tear up anything if ya try...maybe you should try another brand.....and I wonder,why do whole bunch of us pay more for our Polaris than the other comprable brands? because
there better.....

Old 07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I know my 500 has c clips around the insides of the upper and lower cv shafts so you can get em out but i guess they redesigned them. I just put 2 brand new shafts on the 500. On the first one I had to replace the wheel side of it stripped out. On the second one the boot ripped and when I took the shaft out I noticed that this one was on its way out.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

bionic, i never had to change a rear one but i changed 7 front ones. if the rear axle is like the front cut the boot completly off then take a hard rubber hammer and knock the outer joint off. i just held mine by the shaft and hit the joint and it falls right off. the inner has a snap ring that requires a special tool to get it off bit if all your doing is replacing the boots you dont need to get it off. heres my list.

7 torn boots
1 shredded belt
rear foot brake quit working
rear wheel bearings froze up from no grease
handle bar grips wouldnt stay on
leaking headlight
front cargo box warped and leaked
no grease in steering linkage joints
rubber manifold mount melted

all this and i had it 7 months with only 300 miles. didnt ride mine any harder than everyone else rides theirs. i traded mine for a vinson 500 which has 80 miles and 14 hrs on it now with no problems other than a squeeky rear brake. took it to mud bogs last saturday and didnt have to work on it when i got home. im also very impressed with how it pulls in the mud. i took it thru everything i took the polaris thru with the stock dunflops. the manual shift gives you the power in the mud you dont get from an automatic. i took a $2400 loss on my polaris trade not including the accessories i bought for it, but it was well worth it not to have to work on my atv every time i go riding. i would suggest trading or selling it before you go any deeper in the hole. and by the way if you decide to keep it get the thermoplastic gorilla boots.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about the 800...sounds like a lemon.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Look up CV boots on search. A bunch of us posted instructions on changing them out.

Hoss

Old 07-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Bionic
Noticed grease leaking out rear upper boot. Bought new one and took out drive shaft. could not get shaft out of upper cv joint. Went to take bottom off and noticed pin hole in that one as well. Anyone able to get the shaft out . Neither end wants to (even with hammer)and they are both full of grease. I can't even believe this myself. My 400 lasted 1200 miles before some Ice cut 1. If it was'nt happening to me I'd think I was having a bad dream. I feel like someone is going to jump out and this has been one of those Jokes they have on TV. I am not joking 460 miles and heres the breakdown
front& rear box leak
exhaust manifold header bolts vibrate off 300 mi. , oil around head
rear rack falls apart. never tightened
three flats 5/8" from new sharp rim edge. Guess they changed them for next year
had to buy steel rims and tires back .
mach wont shift into gear
Dealer says the motor was not properly aligned.
aligned moter and they turned down the Idle so mutch it sounds like it is gasping for air (even w/ EFI)
2500 lb WARN winch dies. Dealer Installed.
rear CV boot leaking oil. Dealer says pol wont cover that either.
buy new one take shaft out myself and notice other side has pin hole.
Even doing one before on my other Mac. this one will not come apart on either end.
still think I'm just venting?
For me,no boots, no belts, no flats, shifts fine, winch is fine, runs great.

Sucks to be you.

Buy a suzuki so you and 2c3 can start your own forum.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

just wait a month or two and you will be in here crying to. if not you dont ever ride it or it never leaves the pavement.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 2c3

just wait a month or two and you will be in here crying to. if not you dont ever ride it or it never leaves the pavement.
Obviously you don't read what people right in these forums.
You've been in all the ones I have because I read yours.
I ride in the rocky mountains near Jasper Alberta (very rough,very technical)I go from rock to water and skeg I have 980 miles.
What I do do is look over my quad every time before I go out, it only makes sense,it's called maintenance.
It's not unlike my boat.I run it hard so I maintain it.The boats I've pulled home are the same types of people I read about all the time here.
They ride and ride and when it breaks they blame the manufacturer or the dealer when some of the blame falls on them.
If I go in water then I grease every nipple when I get back this way all the water gets pushed out and I'm ready to go.
No matter what brand you ride this is good advice.