Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Outlaw is out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Outlaw is out!!!

Naw, this thing is basically a Pred with IRS. No new fangled engine here. Otherwise it would be even more expensive. It should be a tick slower than a Pred in a drag due to the heavier weight. If the IRS utes can slide, than this will slide even better, but I would expect it won't be able to hang on the track. Also a very expensive proposition to widen this puppy, so it will be rare to see one in organized mx. Still, I see a potential market for this thing if it has been executed well.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like it and i think polaris hit it on the head this thing is great for people who want to just have fun riding on the trails "which is most people" and as far as racing i bet you see alot of these at the TT races...

Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

agreed..i thought it was going to be stupid at first but man it looks like fun in the trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] still would much rather have a TRX or YFZ for MX tho
That IRS looks like it would be sweet on the trails, but for racing or jumping it would be more difficult to handle. jmo
Polaris researched the market and found 92% of sport quad buyers were trail riders, and 8% actually raced. So they tried to build the best trail machine they could instead of building a race machine that people would buy because of the hype, not the practicality. By the way, the thing is a blast. It slides just fine, and rough trails (GNCC) and obstacles are no worries. No dragging the sprocket/brakes through rocks either.

As far as racing & jumping.... Well I don't race, so no comment. But jumping it's actually better. Funky lauches are no worries because you don't have to land flat. But Polaris made no apologies in claiming this was built for the hardcore trail/woods rider. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't kick @$$ in GNCC. I don't think it was intended for MX though. But again, only 8% are racing.

The motor is the same as the Predator, and the tranny is the close ratio except 5th gear. The frame is new from the ground up. It's not a predator with IRS. It also has Podium X shocks front & rear. The choke is down on your left side, not on the dash. It also has a basic dash panel, like a trail boss, but no intstrumentation. It doesn't share bodywork with the Predator either.

As far as power to weight ratio, I guess it depends on whether or not you believe their numbers. Polaris claims .12 VS Hon/Yam 450 at .1 . I don't know how the bigger 650/660/700's compare.

Also, it's not just Sportsman IRS on a sport machine. Side by side they are way different. The Outlaw doesn't prioritize ground clearance or smooth ride... It's priorities are control and consistancy in rough terrain. The IRS is angled forward somewhat to help absorb forward hits as well as vertical. Interesting design.

First year models are always a risk but they claim over 50,000 miles of testing has been done. Only long term test will tell... But the dealers were ragging the crap out of them today around the tracks over trails, jumps, and even big ruts and logs. They also had Predators and TLD's to test along side. Not that all dealers know how to ride... But there were quite a few people really putting them to the test. I mean, hey, it's not theirs to break....

Old 07-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i seen the video and i am not impressed,i can do the samething on my 04 predator just my 2cents