Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

39 PWK problems/ secondary clutch setting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 39 PWK problems/ secondary clutch setting.

Ok so heres my problem im having hell of tuning problems with this PWK I am also paranois about being lean in the middle. Other mods are these.

AAEN top end pipe.
12 to 1 machined head.
Pod Filter (UNI)
V-force two reeds

10-56 weights and a custome primary set up its about a 95-165 equivalent.

first off I did the Ebay carb thing I found a carb with a 35pilot 5.5 slide can;t remeber the needle( I replaced this with the eeg needle fromHPD) and I purchased main jets from 160 thru 170. heres whats happening with the 5.5 slide or the 7.0 slide if the motor is at idle and I go wide open it barks for just a second I have the needle clip set one from the bottom. this is with the 5.5 slide eeg needle in the richest setting and a 165 main jet. I ordered the EEG to replace the kawasaki needle I had whihc was actually richer from the looks of it and it was too lean on the 7.0 carb slide.

before I got the eeg needle over the weekend I was using the 5.5 slide that rich kawasaki needle and 165 main and I was fouling plugs if I tried to cruise along, it was pretty embarasing, I went riding with some people that go 15-20mph max. I just kept loading the plug up to were I couldn;t get to wide open. Is this a problem with the PWK? I may just switch back in forth between the 34mm VM and this 39 depending on what riding im doing but I don't see alot of ya'll having these problems.

Using the 7.0 slide with the eeg needle It much worse then just a bark it sounds like cranking the motor over when doing a compression test. with either slide if I roll into the throttle I experience no hick ups like this.

I managed to get the noise out with the needle clip in the richest setup EEG needle and the 5.5 slide. 1.5 turns out on the air screw and a 165 mainjet. Now rthe real question is does anyone think I will have a problem like this am I too lean? I would like to avoid a melt down. I plan to add a spacer to the needle and go to a 168 main jet if anyone else thinks this is good.

My next question is over the weekend I was using the 5.5 slide that rich kawasaki needle and 165 main and I was fouling plugs if I tried to cruise along, it was pretty embarasing, I went riding with some people that go 15-20mph max. I just kept loading the plug up to were I couldn;t get to wide open. Is this a problem with the PWK? I may just switch back in forth between the 34mm VM and this 39 depending on what riding im doing but I don't see alot of ya'll having these problems.

I also am curious about secondary setting with all my research it looks like I will loose top end going with a 2-2 setting HPD violet and stock helix. What about the one one setting? I want the fastest possible straight line setup that can be tolerated on the trail and that I can ride around at 10-15 mph without bruning up my belt.

lastly my secondary had some scratches that were deep enough to feel on the helix ramps so I better replace this sometime soon. Does any body have any recomendations as to what I should use?

Sorry for the novel I've been trying to save up questions and ask them at once. Any other info needed just ask but I think I got it all.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I'm not mistaken I believe the standard trail mod slide is a 6.0 and a race mod is recommended to run a 7.0

A 5.5 slide is pretty darn rich on the pwk series. The pilot jet and eeg needle should be fine. Now, one thing to take into consideration. If the carb has been used greatly then the needle jet may have a wear spot and cause jetting issues. I think you should go to a 6.0 slide and start from there.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like your carb settings are about the same as mine used to be, when i ran the pwk. 35 pilot 5.5 slide eeg needle, - except I ran my mains way fatter than that. like 170 up to 180 (178 I think)
Ive also read that for best acceleration, you want around 10 lbs of pull on the secondary. Have you got a fishing scale?
I got one a wallmart.
I wonder if you cud have a needle jet problem?

Old 07-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

My carb is set up with a 6.5 slide. It is a bit rich for me. I bet the 5.5 is really rich for you. I was told that I could go to a 7.0 slide by Darrell at HPD to clean up the stuttering problem. Check that needle jet like bubba said first.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

bubba thanks man. thats what I figured and its why I got the 7.0 that and the post I saw from shaun and his experiences. I suppose rich is safer. Do you think im in danger of a lean condition? I still have a tiny bit of bark. I'll check out the needle jet when I jet up the main. My big red is doing something similiar so it may very well be that.

whitedog no I don't have a fishing scale but I know were I can borrow one. good looking out most of the people I have seen have posted recordings have gotten about 12 pounds in the 1/1 setting.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:31 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I believe HPD uses a different needle and seat,i don't remember what the #'s are,this could affect the carb as well.You should be fine on the trail set in the 2-2 position on the secondary.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the HPD needle for a trail mod so I wonder if the seat is different.

well atleast I can get clutching hamered out.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

conig,the race tuning for pwk is 6.5 slide,EEG needle middle or fourth clip,35 through 45 pilot jet depending on where you're located and 170-172 main jet.
the setting that worth less belt slippage on secondary is 1-2,with
a steep angle helix and a .020 shims behind the snap ring.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

Well great. I thought I had only the pilot circuit to tune and now I find out I can change the slide. It looks like the slide affects idle to 1/2 throttle? Chart .Is the # stamped on the slide ? I have a sputter if I try to drive slow with the throttle just opened, and a plug run at this speed showed lean (very light). But if I stab the throttle it takes off like a rocket.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hey EAB. The number of the slide is marked on the bottom. Mine is a 6.5 and it's too rich. It stumbles really bad. What is your egt saying at this throttle range?

Quick Reply: 39 PWK problems/ secondary clutch setting.