Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Help Sport 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Help Sport 400

I'm fixing up a Sport 400 for my wife to ride. I heard a noise when I had the secondary clutch off during engine rebuild & took a look inside.

The secondary spring has come loose & destroyed helix, housing buttons etc.

I bought the ATV used but think it has Hotseat pipe on it, looks like stock silencer, brown primary spring, white secondary.

Ok,cut to the chase... what are my best options, anyone have a secondary clutch for sale?

Are these springs ok for trail riding?

Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

They have used secondary clutches on ebay all the time for pretty cheap. The stock secondary setup will probably be fine for your wife. I don't know anything about Polaris spring rates or colors. Only aftermarket. I think if you do a search there is a thread on clutch springs with a chart. Type in something like "clutch spring" and you should get tons of info. Welcome to the forums.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the springs you described you DO have a HotSeat clutch kit.If it is a HSP pipe and you want this for your wife I would find a stock exhaust system on ebay ( I found one for $30 +shipping)a stock secondary from ebay,and get a white polaris primary spring and a set of S55 shift weights and get the thing back to stock.I put my wife on a HSP modded 400 and it eat her lunch and almost turned her against riding.But stock it was alot better but still alot of power.Oh yea if you want to go back stock you can ebay the Hotseat pipe and clutch kit and get your $$$$$ and then have a little left over for a few brews.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies, I rode it when I bought it, but it had a blown head gasket, & obviously this clutch problem. It seemed to be ok, but now with the fresh engine I was expecting more power but I didnt think it would be that potent?

I am looking at a secondary clutch on ebay, I might just get that as I was tossing up between that & Team secondary, but I dont want it throwing my wife off... lol.

I miht leave the brown spring in & exhaust & see how it goes, then start slowing it up if it A. scares her & B, runs anywhere near my Pred..

Thanks Guys

Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

For the $$$$ the TEAM is great.But you will get a stock secondary for a fraction and it will work.THe HSP helix is a is a 44-40 I think.Hey dont be surprised if the Sport will run with if not run away from your Pred.Thse things are extra fast.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

One prob is that Im in Australia, so shipping isnt cheap.

If I get a used clutch, I would like to put the white spring in it, & new buttons, by the time I buy all of that & get used secondary, Im well over $150, Team secondary brand new is $260.00.

Tell my wife that she will leave me behind & she will order it herself... lol.

She used to ride my Blazer 250 with RCR stage 1 & red yellow primary spring added, without too much worry, I think she will handle the 400 (hope).

Old 08-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Quad Patrol

My wife rode a '94 Sport 400L. She handled it just fine. It didn't have the aftermarket parts your talking about. But, she rode agressively and liked to have more power. Only thing she really didn't like was the size and weight of the machine. So, if your wife doesn't want to be left behind, sounds like she'll be happy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Quad Patrol

If you can get a used secondary over there you would be better off.You could use either a HPD violet or Aaen blue spring and be real close.The price of the TEAM doesnt include the spring and helx does it? As for comparing the 400 Sport to a Modded TB you are looking at almost twice the HP with what you have maybe a little more.Put it this way when I had the HSP kit on the 400 Scrammy I could run even with a modded 660 Raptor in the sand and out do one in the trails.Topped out around 75 mph.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

F "If you can get a used secondary over there you would be better off.You could use either a HPD violet or Aaen blue spring and be real close.The price of the TEAM doesnt include the spring and helx does it?"

Oz pred: Thanks so much for your help, I managed to get a slightly used team secondary complete with spring & helix for $200.00 US.
Quads arent big here yet, but will be soon, so no second hand anything really.

F: "when I had the HSP kit on the 400 Scrammy I could run even with a modded 660 Raptor in the sand and out do one in the trails.Topped out around 75 mph. "

O: Thats awesome, maybe the Sport will end up mine? ha ha ha..

I will see how it goes when I get the Team Secondary.

Thanks again..

Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Quad Patrol

Cool on the TEAM you will like the backshift but check what spring and helix it has.***Edited by ATV Connection Forum Moderator***

Quick Reply: Clutch Help Sport 400