Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:30 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

My battery to my predator will not hold its charge. on our battery charger it says full, but when you put it in the quad it wont even crank over. WTF!

Old 08-17-2005 | 11:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dead Battery

Did you check all the wires going to the battery, there might be a loose wire or somthing disconnected?

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

Originally posted by: cr125predator
My battery to my predator will not hold its charge. on our battery charger it says full, but when you put it in the quad it wont even crank over. WTF!
starter might be dead

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:34 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

crit-nope, going to check it tomorrow

dunbarr-why would my starter die so quickly?

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

do you have one of the big 2/10/50 amp models with the guage mines an everstart and I have a ton of trouble trying to charge small batterys that full charge light comes on and the charger shuts down before you ever get a decent charge. I would go out and get one of those cheap 2amp trickle chargers. I have one and they work great for small batterys. I also use a very expensive model airplane battery charger that is fully adjustable and able to be set to peak charge a 12v battery. This would be over kill for you but since I already have one I use it. When I first got my scrambler the battery was dead, I hooked it up to my everstart battery charger and it took about a minute for it to say it was full. well I tried to crank it and it was still dead, over night charged it with my handy dandy 2amp cheapy and I haven't had a problem with the battery since. A quick cheap check would be to hook up your pred battery to your car battery with jumper cables then put the charger on 2amp. The extra battery will keep you from going right to fully charged. remember to hook all positives together and all negatives together as I'm sure you know.

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

Originally posted by: cr125predator
crit-nope, going to check it tomorrow

dunbarr-why would my starter die so quickly?
never know happend to me before

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:40 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

actually i do have a 2 amp trickle charger. try it this week. see how it works out

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

Awesome, hopefully that works. If it still won't crank then check the battery's voltage with a dvom and if it's up then try connecting jumper cables from your car to the leads on the pred without the battery installed. if that doesn't work then if you can get to the bolt that holds the positive cable on the starter you can try leaving all the other jumper cables installed except the positive then just tap the positive cable to the starter stud. If it cranks you have a bad starter solenoid. If it doesn't crank your starters pooped out Keep me informed of your updates and findings

Old 08-18-2005 | 12:54 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Dead Battery

Will do!

Old 08-18-2005 | 01:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Dead Battery

Been having batttery probs with my wifes predator as well. Once you start it the battery will charge up while riding and works fine all day. But if it sits in the garage for a week or so the battery seems to drain. havent had time to chase the problem down yet so i think ill start disconnecting the postirive lead when not in use.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery