Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Scrambler clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400 Scrambler clutch questions

You can check the spring and bushings by taking the big bolt out and the 6 small one and see every thing in the clutch.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I took apart the clutch and here are the pics. It appears to have the large bolt washer at the end as described by somebody earlier. It might have a clutch kit, but I don't know. Here's a link with pictures:

Clutch Pictures

The spring is rusted but has a blue color to it. So, is this a clutch kit, or standard clutch? Should I just buy new spring?

Old 08-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

That looks like a stock white spring.With all this apart can you feel any binding of the bushings to the shaft.You may need to put he clutch back together but leave to spring out and see if it moves free.I had the inside bushing go bad on a 425 Magnum and it acted like what you say yours is doing.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, the spring has a blue color in one spot where it is not rusted. I checked for binding and didn't feel any, not even in the very beginning. If I buy a new spring, what would be a good one to buy? I'm running red on the driven clutch and I don't know what the weights are.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Quad Patrol

If you are running a stock pipe I would just change it all back to stock or close to it.A white primary spring,S55 weights,Silver secondary.This way you know what you have and it will work right.Then if you want to change things you will have a base to compare with.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Quad Patrol

Here you god check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...71532874QQrdZ1 I may have a set of S55 weights that I could get to you.Let me know what you think.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

Is white the stock spring for the drive clutch? Any way to tell the # of the weights? Also, I have a red spring on the driven clutch, is that stock and will that work with a white drive clutch spring? Man, a lot of questions sorry, but I'm getting used to the PVT system. Still, much better than a standard tranny, very easy to configure, I just don't understand the spring color/weight power/rpm thing.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: xsmoker
Is white the stock spring for the drive clutch? Any way to tell the # of the weights? Also, I have a red spring on the driven clutch, is that stock and will that work with a white drive clutch spring? Man, a lot of questions sorry, but I'm getting used to the PVT system. Still, much better than a standard tranny, very easy to configure, I just don't understand the spring color/weight power/rpm thing.
The white spring is stock but it looks plain with paint on one end.THe red secondary spring could be a stock Polaris sring depending on the size of wire and how stiff it is.The weights you will need to take one out and they are marked on the side. If you are really serious about learning how PVTs work drop me an email and I can hook you up with some locations to get info on them.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

ftwflh,
Could you please send me those places for information.. You have me in the ball park but I would like to understand a little better how to fine tune the clutches..

Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bubba297

Take a look at the weights on the primary clutch. If they are about the same thickness from below the pin to the tip then they are the S series weights. If they get fat in the middle and taper at the end then they are the 10 series (race) weights and must have the large clutch washer on the clutch bolt instead of the small thick washer. It will push the outer sheave in a little and reduce clearance. If you put the race weights in with the stock clutch washer it will cause a harsh engagement. Hope that helps,Bubba</end quote></div>

Do you happen to have the part # for that Large clutch washer you are talking about? is it thick like the original is?