Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

QUAD Magazine V-Twin 4x4 Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUAD Magazine V-Twin 4x4 Shootout

I agree with cam650 it was a great read and the Bomb is not heads above the sp800 like everyone was talking at first although they did attest to it being faster.
Unfortunatly no drag times were listed but the BF came in 3rd.

They never mentioned the sp800 was a parallel twin??? and i think they should do a shootout with the KQ included but not the Griz and Rincon until they step up and upgrade the machines.

Jim

Old 09-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer

keep the King and the Griz but screw the "super reliable" Honda

Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mudlover600Tw " Well i dont beleive these guys actually ride these machines"
"and dont listen to those marketing goofs. They have no clue about serious riding"

Mudlover600Tw,

I would like to ask you to please reconsider what you believe and have posted about this topic.

I average about 3000 miles a year on my Sportsman’s. If you look at my rims they are more octagon shaped than they are round. Every now and then I have to pound on the inside of the rims so they don't scrape the disc brake calipers. I replace my Tie-rid ends (all 4) at 800 to 900 mile intervals. I consider myself lucky when I can get more than 1000 miles out of a set of ball joints. I have managed to rip all 4 control arms away from the frame and now fabricate my own heavy duty a-arm mounts. The frame has had 6 gussets added to keep the front end from falling off. My wheel bearings give up before the 1500-mile mark and I hate to think of all foot wells I had to buy and the list goes on. If you were to call me a "serious rider" my ridding buddies would laugh at you and would say” you were being too kind!"

However, I do have to give those guys at Quad Magazine a lot of credit! Even though they were warned in advance they still allowed me to be a test rider. I do think the editor from Quad Magazine looked a little pale as I drove off on the BOMB and was gone for awhile. Later I had realized that due to a rainstorm earlier in the day, they were not able to do the photo shoots on the test machines. And they needed them to stay in one piece.

"HEY drivem before you buy em" Mudlover600Tw .......... I agree with your statement 1000%

I was gratefull to be able to have the opportunity to ride each of these machines over the same course. There was a day and night difference between each machine in the way they handled and performed. In my evaluation, I added up the scores in each category and found that the Bomb rated #1 and the Sportsman #2. Although I rated the Bomb #1, it was just not the machine for my style of riding. I do believe that the Bomb is the machine that will convert die-hard sport quad riders over to a utility...... The following week I did go out a buy a Sportsman 800.

Paul700

TCTRI
Officer/Trail Guide

Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: paul700efi
Mudlover600Tw " Well i dont beleive these guys actually ride these machines" "and dont listen to those marketing goofs. They have no clue about serious riding"Mudlover600Tw, I would like to ask you to please reconsider what you believe and have posted about this topic.I average about 3000 miles a year on my Sportsman’s. If you look at my rims they are more octagon shaped than they are round. Every now and then I have to pound on the inside of the rims so they don't scrape the disc brake calipers. I replace my Tie-rid ends (all 4) at 800 to 900 mile intervals. I consider myself lucky when I can get more than 1000 miles out of a set of ball joints. I have managed to rip all 4 control arms away from the frame and now fabricate my own heavy duty a-arm mounts. The frame has had 6 gussets added to keep the front end from falling off. My wheel bearings give up before the 1500-mile mark and I hate to think of all foot wells I had to buy and the list goes on. If you were to call me a "serious rider" my ridding buddies would laugh at you and would say” you were being too kind!"However, I do have to give those guys at Quad Magazine a lot of credit! Even though they were warned in advance they still allowed me to be a test rider. I do think the editor from Quad Magazine looked a little pale as I drove off on the BOMB and was gone for awhile. Later I had realized that due to a rainstorm earlier in the day, they were not able to do the photo shoots on the test machines. And they needed them to stay in one piece."HEY drivem before you buy em" Mudlover600Tw .......... I agree with your statement 1000%I was gratefull to be able to have the opportunity to ride each of these machines over the same course. There was a day and night difference between each machine in the way they handled and performed. In my evaluation, I added up the scores in each category and found that the Bomb rated #1 and the Sportsman #2. Although I rated the Bomb #1, it was just not the machine for my style of riding. I do believe that the Bomb is the machine that will convert die-hard sport quad riders over to a utility...... The following week I did go out a buy a Sportsman 800.Paul700TCTRIOfficer/Trail Guide
If you rate the Bomb #1, why did you buy a Sportsman???

Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Daranello75

I tried to compare the machines on how well they performed and handled against each other and not to my particular preference of riding. Overall the Bomb came out on top.
I ride over rocky trails at a pace that most people don’t like to ride. The Sportsman 800 gave me the nicest ride in the rough stuff than any other machine. This is very important to me. But for others who may not ride rough stuff the way I do, this may not be the dominating factor. The suspension system was just one category of the evaluation process. In other areas the Bomb is faster, nimble as a dirt bike in tight woods and jumps better than the Sportsman. If that were what I needed the most in a machine, I would be waiting in line for the Bomb.
As was said before, try before you buy. Pick the machine that best matches you’re riding style and may I add.... focus on what is most important to you.

Paul700

TCTRI
Officer/Trail Guide

Old 09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: paul700efi
Mudlover600Tw " Well i dont beleive these guys actually ride these machines"
"and dont listen to those marketing goofs. They have no clue about serious riding"

Mudlover600Tw,

I would like to ask you to please reconsider what you believe and have posted about this topic.

I average about 3000 miles a year on my Sportsman’s. If you look at my rims they are more octagon shaped than they are round. Every now and then I have to pound on the inside of the rims so they don't scrape the disc brake calipers. I replace my Tie-rid ends (all 4) at 800 to 900 mile intervals. I consider myself lucky when I can get more than 1000 miles out of a set of ball joints. I have managed to rip all 4 control arms away from the frame and now fabricate my own heavy duty a-arm mounts. The frame has had 6 gussets added to keep the front end from falling off. My wheel bearings give up before the 1500-mile mark and I hate to think of all foot wells I had to buy and the list goes on. If you were to call me a "serious rider" my ridding buddies would laugh at you and would say” you were being too kind!"

However, I do have to give those guys at Quad Magazine a lot of credit! Even though they were warned in advance they still allowed me to be a test rider. I do think the editor from Quad Magazine looked a little pale as I drove off on the BOMB and was gone for awhile. Later I had realized that due to a rainstorm earlier in the day, they were not able to do the photo shoots on the test machines. And they needed them to stay in one piece.

"HEY drivem before you buy em" Mudlover600Tw .......... I agree with your statement 1000%

I was gratefull to be able to have the opportunity to ride each of these machines over the same course. There was a day and night difference between each machine in the way they handled and performed. In my evaluation, I added up the scores in each category and found that the Bomb rated #1 and the Sportsman #2. Although I rated the Bomb #1, it was just not the machine for my style of riding. I do believe that the Bomb is the machine that will convert die-hard sport quad riders over to a utility...... The following week I did go out a buy a Sportsman 800.

Paul700

TCTRI
Officer/Trail Guide
Cant wait to hear how you like the alum wheels