Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer with Sand Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer with Sand Tires

I got two sets of sand tires front and rear for our Trailblazers. See my pics. The tires were tires recommended by a few people on the Polaris forum. Thanks guys and special thanks to fishslab for his input.

For the front, I ordered 22x8x10 DuneTackers on .125 10x6 Douglas polished aluminum rims for $106.99 per set.
For the rear, I ordered 20x11x10 Sand Sharks on .125 10x9 Douglas polished aluminum rims for $138.99 per set.
I ordered from Rock Mountain ATV and received them in three days.

We spent the holiday weekend at Silver Lake dunes. I was quite suprised at the difference the sand tires made.
The front tires were about 3 inches wider than the stock trail tires. So they provided a huge amount of floation. With the center rib, the tires steered on the soft sand like the trail tires steered on hard dirt. I could lean over the handle bars or sit back on the seat and the front tires held in the turns either way with no tendency to dig in or push. I highly recommend anyone trying to decide if they should get front tires, definitly go for it, you will not be disappointed.

The rear tires provided good enough traction that allowed us to go anywhere at Silver Lake. I probably went up Test hill and all the following hills a dozen times, LOL only because it was one of the few places that was not traffic jammed with quads, bikes and 4wd vehicles and it was directional so you did not have to worry about meeting someone at the top of the hill going in the other direction.

We could pretty much go where ever we wanted and even start and stop in the middle of many of the smaller hills without digging in. However, the most significant lesson my wife and I learned with the sand tires was that when starting off on an incline or to accelerate the fastest, we had to lean over the handle bars slightly to reduce the weight transfer to the rear tires. If we tried to accelerate up an incline without doing this, the rear tires just dug a hole. LOL, my wife is now a convert to sand hills with her tires. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The last time she tried to ride in the sand she got stuck quite a few times.

Now the questions.. Currently, I am running 2 psi in the rear and 3 psi in the front. Does this seem like resonable pressures to run? Also, what difference would I see with straight paddles versus the diagonals that I have? Would I have less chance of digging in when I take off?

Thanks in advance,
BryceGTX

Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Sand sounds like fun, I guess we are a little short on dunes here in WI.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Straight paddles are mainly for straight line stuff and the curved are for the trails and turning. I got skat trak edge they work good for both. I had a set of sand shark on my 250ex and they were great for it and then i got my kfx and used it once with the sand sharks and they didn't bite enogh for it. The front tires do help alot.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Addicting Eh??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Those pressures sound ok for the type of riding you were doing. I like to run around 3 in the back and 4-5 in the front. I need a little more pressure due to jumps and such. I would stick with the paddles you have for the TB. The straights would benefit you not much at all. Glad to hear you had a good time. It is very fun indeed.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

It's all over for you folks now Bryce. I can see the permanent sand paper grin. As far a straight or V paddles go, good luck. Ask two poeple and get two opinions, but I'm with duneahaolic. Keep the paddles you have. You won't gain much, if any, with straight paddles unless you are putting out more HP. If money is not an issue experiment, and try a set of Haulers. As far as air pressure goes, you'll need to experiment some more. It depends on the tires, the sand, and you. The pressures you stated are a good starting point. Keep enjoying that good old silica.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

cool, glad you like your paddles!

was the dunes crowded?
I might make it out there in sept when the crowds are lighter, hate that voucher thing.

Jim

Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks fishslab and duneaholic for the feedback on tire pressure. I think I'll try your suggestion duneaholic about the front tire pressure and try upping the pressure in the fronts to 5psi and see how it affects it. I suspect it will reduce the rolling resistance.

Thanks to all for the heads up on the straight versus angled paddles.. I guess I'll stick with the Sharks for a while..

LOL, and yes, I think we are converts to the dunes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

jimmypsp700.. We got to the voucher area at 1 pm on saturday and we had a parking voucher by 1:30. Sunday we went in at 3pm and didn't even wait for a parking voucher. But the best time to go to the dunes is after 5 pm when everyone is leaving.. It is much less crowded and there is no wait for anything.

BryceGTX

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

i really like my sand star paddle on my bikes there a good all around tire
-Bryce Cloutier

Old 09-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 400exTeen
i really like my sand star paddle on my bikes there a good all around tire
-Bryce Cloutier
Hello Bryce [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Are you running Sand stars in the front also? I noticed a big difference in front end handling with the Dune Trackers on the front.
Bryce

Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

What part of Michigan do you live? I am in Battle Creek, and we ride at Silver Lake with our tb250's, when ever we can tear away from our foolish schedule. If you want to do your own test between straight paddles and "v"s, I have a set of 7paddle Haulers on .125 douglas rims that I may let you try, I'm not sure if I will be going back this year or not. Kinda feelin' like doing some mud! Gotta get some rain first. Let me know, Curt

Quick Reply: Trailblazer with Sand Tires